What is the Cost of Divorce UK?
Nobody expects to have to factor in the cost of divorce when they get married, but if you have found yourself in the unfortunate situation of having to go through the process, then we can help you.
At AWH, our solicitors routinely oversee successful UK divorce cases and will be able to help you with any detail that may arise.
Get in touch today to begin discussing the specifics of your situation.
What is Involved in Getting Divorced in the UK?
In order to be able to get divorced in the UK, you must be able to fulfil the grounds for divorce. These are a set of regulations that outline all of the potential reasons that you may need to be granted a divorce from the UK courts. Unreasonable behaviour is stated as the most common reason for filing for divorce. This is because it allows you to legally divorce without needing to be separated for at least 2 years before you are able to do so.
In order to be granted a divorce in the UK, there are some requirements that you must fulfil. These requirements are:
- You must have been married for at least 12 months
- At least one member of the marriage must live in England or Wales, or if living abroad then you must consider England or Wales to be your permanent home
- You must be able to satisfy the court that you qualify for divorce under one of the grounds for divorce
What are the Grounds for Divorce?
In the UK, the grounds for divorce are:
You must be able to prove that your spouse has had sexual intercourse with another person of the opposite sex and that you find it intolerable to live with your spouse.
- Unreasonable behaviour
You must be able to prove that your spouse has behaved in a way that means that it would be unreasonable to expect you to live with him or her. This could include instances of excessive drinking, violence, or financial extravagance.
This particular grounds for divorce is almost never used because it involves proving that a spouse had a mental intent to divorce throughout a 2 year period that they had deserted their partner for.
- 2 year separation with consent
If you and your partner have agreed to live apart for at least two years after the initial presentation of your divorce petition, and you both agree to a divorce, then this is also considered to be grounds for divorce.
- 5 years separation with no consent required
If you and your spouse have been living apart for five years after the presentation of your divorce petition then this is considered grounds for divorce, and your former partner does not have to consent.
What is the Cost of Divorce UK?
There are so many different factors that may be involved in a divorce being granted in the UK, that it is difficult to put an exact price on what it could cost. At AWH Solicitors, we offer an initial 30 minute consultation for the cost of £95 incl. VAT. Within this consultation, we will be able to establish what the best possible options are for you and your partner when you are approaching divorce proceedings and give you a better idea of overall costs, including the costs of contested and uncontested divorce packages.
Get in Touch with AWH
At AWH, we want you to be satisfied with the eventual outcome of your divorce, and be confident in our ability to find the best case scenario for everyone involved. Contact us today to talk to our experts.
Starting the process couldn’t be more simple!
- Contact us Get in touch however suits you best and arrange a consulation with one of our solicitors
- Meet an expert You’ll meet the expert solicitor assigned to your case and discuss all the necessary details
- Authorise Once we’ve got all the details of your case and you’re happy to proceed, just give us the go-ahead
- We get to work It’s time for us to get to work! We’ll set up your file on our system and get to work right away
Get in touch
Let us know how AWH Solicitors can help you by providing us with your details in the form below.
Please let us know when you want to be contacted so we can get in touch with you at a time that suits you best.