Do I Have to Pay for Property Repairs and Maintenance in Social Housing if the Damage Wasn’t My Fault?

If you live in social housing, your rights and responsibilities as a tenant likely differ from if you lived in private rented housing.

One grey area which tenants tend to lack knowledge in is who pays for property repairs and maintenance in social housing, especially if the damage was not their fault.

Of course, like in any instance where something is damaged it completely depends on how it occurred. This guide will help you to establish if your landlord is trying to shirk their responsibility onto you and what to do about it if they are.

If you live in social or council housing and your landlord is refusing to make necessary repairs, we can help.
Get in touch

Repairs and Maintenance in Council and Housing Association Homes

Council or social housing association landlords are usually responsible for repairs and maintenance in homes they rent out.

When you first move in, your landlord should make sure that the property:

  • Is clean and fit to live in
  • Has been repaired (if necessary)
  • Has safe, functional gas, electrical and plumbing
  • Has safe and secure windows and doors which work properly

Imagine your home is damaged, then is damaged further by repair and maintenance work organised by your landlord.

You landlord is the person responsible for rectifying and paying for the additional damage because it was not your fault. 

Additionally, if you’re prevented from using all or part of your home because of repair work, it is possible to ask for a reduction in rent for the time you are affected.

Is this landlord failing to provide you with a safe and fit living area?
Get in touch

Health and Safety Standards

There are certain health and safety standards which apply to rented homes. By law, your home must be safe and fit to live in when your tenancy starts and this must continue throughout the tenancy.

From the beginning to the end of your tenancy, your landlord is responsible for maintaining:

  • The safety of the gas supply and gas appliances they provide
  • Electrical wiring and electrical appliances they provide

Condensation, damp and mould are also common problems which you may come across. You should report problems with this to your landlord immediately.

After you’ve reported the problem, your landlord is responsible for organising an inspection and carrying out any repairs they are responsible for i.e. if the condensation has happened due to a failing to provide adequate ventilation on their part.

Damp, mould and condensation can pose a risk to health, so it is essential that you report it and it is sorted out as quickly as possible.

Everyone deserves a safe home. Are features of your home unsafe, and has your landlord failed to make the necessary repairs?
Get in touch

Landlord Requirements

Although as a tenant you do have a certain amount of responsibility to keep where you live clean, safe and tidy, your landlord is also responsible for some property repairs and maintenance.

Social housing landlords are responsible for most repairs in your home, including any damage or disrepair affecting:

  • the structure/exterior of the building i.e. the roof, walls, windows and external doors
  • central heating, gas fires, fireplaces, flues, ventilation and chimneys
  • water supply, pipes, sinks, toilets and baths
  • external drains and guttering
  • gas pipes, electrical wiring and any appliances provided i.e. if a washing machine is provided the landlord is likely responsible if it breaks
  • common areas like lifts and entrances

If you live in a house of multiple occupation or an HMO, your landlord has even more responsibilities for fire and general safety, water supply and drainage, gas and electricity and waste disposal.

These should be detailed in your tenancy agreement, which our housing disrepair solicitors can help you understand if you feel like you have the right to claim against your landlord or social housing association.

We can send someone over to check the damage to your house to help us assess if you can make a claim.
Get in touch

Tenant Responsibilities

As a tenant, you are responsible for a range of things, primarily inside the property.

For example, if you or someone visiting your home accidentally or deliberately causes damage, you’ll be the one responsible for repairing it.

If something happens and repair work is needed then you should tell your landlord as soon as possible.

They may agree to carry out property repair and maintenance themselves and then recharge the cost to you, or they may agree to you fixing it.

By law, in every tenancy agreement it will state that you must give access for repair work: your landlord or their agent has the right to access your home as long as they give you at least twenty-four hours notice.

In an emergency, for example if a pipe has burst, and they can’t contact you then they hold the right to enter the property without your permission.

You are responsible for using your home in a “tenant-like” way, which generally means:

  • Carrying out minor repairs yourself i.e. changing fuses and light bulbs
  • Keeping your home reasonably clean
  • Not causing damage to the property – including visitors
  • Using any fixtures and fittings properly, for example, not blocking a toilet by flushing something unsuitable down it

It is very important to note that at no point during the tenancy do you have the right to stop paying or refuse to pay rent.

Even if your landlord has failed to carry out repairs, you must continue to pay rent until the end of the tenancy.

If you believe you should not have to pay the full amount, you can form a complaint with the landlord in which you can state your reasons.

Right to Repair Scheme

This scheme allows Housing Association tenants to have urgent, minor repairs which negatively impact their health and safety completed quickly and at no cost to them.

It also provides for tenants to be compensated where repairs have not been completed within a prescribed period, which is usually 30 days.

The Right to Repair scheme is specific to certain local authorities like housing associations and it is not a legal requirement.

However, many social housing landlords have schemes in place which operate in a very similar way to Right to Repair.

If you are unsure whether you have access to the Right to Repair scheme or a similar scheme then you should check your tenancy agreement, tenant handbook or ask your landlord if they have something in place.

What Qualifies for the Scheme?

It is important to note that only certain types of repairs – called qualifying repairs – are covered under the Right to Repair scheme, and that the scheme only applies to tenants renting from housing associations.

Qualifying repairs include repairs on insecure windows and doors, unsafe power sockets or electrical fittings, leaking roofs and broken entry phone systems.

A repair won’t qualify for the scheme if:

  • The estimated cost is more than £250, or
  • your local branch of Housing Association has fewer than 100 properties, or
  • the landlord isn’t responsible for the repair.

When you report a qualifying repair, your landlord has to issue a repair notice to a contractor and should send you a copy with information on how the scheme works.

There will be a time limit for the work to be done by which will depend on the repair needed – more complex repairs will understandably take longer.

What Happens if the Work Isn’t Done in Time?

If the repair work isn’t done within the time limit, you should tell your landlord and ask for another contractor to carry out the repair.

Note: if you aren’t at home to let the contractor in as arranged, your use of the scheme may be deemed as invalid.

The Decent Homes Standard in England

By law, accommodation owned by social housing landlords must meet the Decent Homes Standard in England.

A ‘Decent Home’ must:

  • Be free of Category 1 hazards under the Housing Health and Safety Rating System
  • Be in a reasonable state of repair
  • Have reasonably modern facilities 
  • Provide a reasonable degree of thermal comfort

Is the home you are currently living in not meeting these standards?
Get in touch

Claiming Compensation

If you believe that property repairs and maintenance are necessary because a decent standard is not being upheld in your home, you may be able to claim compensation for financial losses.

It is possible to take your landlord to court, although obviously this should be treated as a very last resort.

Before deciding whether or not to take legal action against your landlord for disrepair you should:

  • Check your landlord is actually responsible for the repairs
  • Ensure that you’ve reported the problem at least once
  • Have given your landlord a reasonable amount of time to do the repairs
  • Consider whether you’ve explored other options to resolve the problem yourself
  • Look at any evidence you have to help support your case

If you do claim against your social housing landlord, the court can make your landlord do the repair work, and also has the power to make a declaration that you can do the repairs yourself and deduct the cost from future rent you are legally obliged to pay.

If your landlord still doesn’t complete the property repairs and maintenance work specified in the order or injunction, they can be fined or imprisoned.

Damages for Failed Property Repairs and Maintenance

If they find the landlord at fault, the court can also award you compensation called damages, which put you back in the financial position you would have been in had it not been for the disrepair.

You can get damages if:

  • You’ve been injured or fallen ill
  • Your possessions have been damaged or destroyed
  • You’ve been inconvenienced and unable to use your home in the way you normally would

You should note that you can initiate court action to claim compensation during your tenancy or up to six years after the time your landlord should have done completed repair.

If you think that taking court action is the next step for you, our housing disrepair specialists can help you.

We Can Help

If you live in social housing and believe that essential property repairs and maintenance are not being carried out, you may be able to claim for compensation.

For friendly and honest help and guidance, get in touch using our contact form or ring on 0844 414 0667.
Get in touch

Why Choose AWH Solicitors

We value honesty and transparency and believe above all that legal services should be fairly priced, so they can be available to anyone.

Our solicitors are highly experienced and have an abundance of experience in their field of law, ensuring you the best chance at a successful outcome of your case or claim.

  • Expert Services & Advice
    Expert Services & Advice
    As a modern multi-service law firm, we proudly provide award winning legal services to our clients across the country.
  • Pricing of our Services
    Pricing of our Services
    In order to be fully transparent on our prices we have published our pricing structure on each service page.
  • How to get Started
    How to get Started
    To get your case started with AWH Solicitors you can simply pick up the phone or request a call back from our friendly solicitors at a time that suits you.