How to apply for a spouse visa extension UK
If you and your partner have decided to extend your time in the UK, you will likely need a spouse visa extension.
UK visa laws are very strict, and you will want to apply for your extension well in advance to avoid any problems. We can help guide you through the application for a spouse visa extension, so you can get on with the rest of your life here in the UK as soon as possible.
Contact us for expert advice on your visa
Please note: A 30-minute consultation with one of our immigration experts can be held in our offices or over the phone or Skype. Please be aware that we do not offer free advice and will charge a non-refundable fee of £60 per consultation.
What are the requirements for a spouse visa extension UK?
In order to be eligible for a spouse visa extension, you must still be able to fulfil the requirements of your original spouse visa. These include:
- Both you and your partner being over the age of 18 at the time of application
- Both you and your partner being present in the UK at the time of application
- Having the intention to live together permanently in the UK
- Being able to prove that you meet the English language requirement
- Your spouse meeting the required annual income of at least £18,600
Your initial spouse visa allows you to stay in the UK for up to 33 months. After you have lived in the UK for this initial period, this is when you would apply for a 30-month extension. If you are granted the extension, this can then count towards the overall 5 year period that you must be in the UK in order to qualify for indefinite leave to remain.
How do I apply for a spouse visa extension?
If you are within the UK, you will need to use the online visa system, and this can be done at any time before your current spouse visa expires. You will have to provide all of the relevant documentation that proves that you meet the requirements, and if there is any reason that you cannot meet some of the requirements then you may be invited for an interview with an immigration caseworker.
If you need any help with putting together your information, or with preparing for an interview, our expert immigration solicitors can help you. Contact us today.
What documents do I need to apply for a Spouse visa extension?
To apply for your spouse visa extension, you will need to provide documents that can prove the following:
- That you have been tested to meet the required English language standard
- That your partner has a valid immigration status, such as a Tier 2 Work visa or indefinite leave to remain
- Your relationship with your partner, such as a marriage certificate
You will also need to submit the standard documentation for a spouse visa, including:
- your passport, along with any old ones that have expired
- travel documents
- your Biometric Residence Permit
Although you are allowed to send photocopies of qualifications or bank statements, you must provide the original documentation for your travel ID, your passport and your biometric residence permit.
What is the cost of a spouse visa extension UK?
The standard cost of applying for a spouse visa extension is £1033, and you must also pay the handling fee for your biometric information.
There is a chance that you may also be liable to pay the Immigration Health Surcharge, but you will consequently have access to the NHS for your time in the UK. If you are on a low income, there might be some other options available to help you with these costs.
Get in Touch
Overstaying is not taken lightly by the Home Office, so it is best not to leave your spouse visa extension until the last minute. Expert advice can help make the application process as simple as possible.
Contact our expert immigration solicitors for help with your spouse visa extension.
Starting the process couldn’t be more simple!
- Contact us Get in touch however suits you best and arrange a consulation with one of our solicitors
- Meet an expert You’ll meet the expert solicitor assigned to your case and discuss all the necessary details
- Authorise Once we’ve got all the details of your case and you’re happy to proceed, just give us the go-ahead
- We get to work It’s time for us to get to work! We’ll set up your file on our system and get to work right away
Get in touch
Let us know how AWH Solicitors can help you by providing us with your details in the form below.
Please let us know when you want to be contacted so we can get in touch with you at a time that suits you best.