Can I Claim for Dupuytren’s Contracture?
Dupuytren’s contracture has now been added to the list of recognised industrial injuries by the Department of Work and Pensions, meaning that from the 9th of December 2019 you can claim IIDB benefit if you have suffered from the condition after having worked with heavy machinery for a minimum period of 10 years.
Because the government has now recognised that Dupuytren’s contracture could develop as a result of working with heavy industrial equipment, in addition to claiming for IIDB benefits, you may also be able to claim compensation for developing the condition.
At AWH we can help you claim compensation for Dupuytren’s contracture caused or worsened at your place of work. You can likely claim compensation even if you are no longer employed and/or if the employer responsible has gone out of business.
Cause of Dupuytren’s Contracture Claims
Dupuytren’s contracture, often referred to as ‘Claw hand’ or ‘Miners claw’, is generally caused as a result of the regular use of vibratory power tools and heavy industrial equipment, common in construction and mining.
If you have developed claw hand, we can help you.
Workers Most at Risk
If you work, or have worked in any of the below environments, you would have been most at risk of developing Dupuytren’s contracture:
- Factory assembly
- Estate management
- Heavy steel manufacturing
Claim Compensation for Dupuytren’s Contracture/ Claw Hand
Are you suffering from:
- Fixed flexion deformity in one or more digits,
And have you:
- Used handheld vibrating power tools throughout your employment?
Then you can likely make a dupuytren’s contracture claim.
Get in touch to start your claw hand compensation claim to get the compensation you deserve after you’ve developed the condition at work.
What is Dupuytren's Contracture/ Claw Hand?
Dupuytren’s contracture is a condition that mainly occurs in workers who have jobs that involves the constant use of their hands. It often results in the bending of fingers in towards the palm of the hand.
The symptoms of Dupuytren’s contracture can develop and significantly worsen over time, negatively impacting both your work and private life.
- Firstly, the connective tissue in the palm of the hand begins to thicken under the skin
- Secondly, it then begins to form a small hard lump
- Thirdly, further nodules will begin to develop and form a thicker band of contracted tissue
As this develops, the finger is pulled slightly in towards the palm and can no longer be extended properly. The finger will eventually become permanently bent and this is what is referred to as Dubuytren’s contracture.
Can I make a Dupuytren's Contracture Claim?
There is a significant amount of debate about the exact causes of claw hand, and some of the possible causes also include genetic predisposition, smoking, drinking, heart disease or diabetes. However, working in a manual labour job is a major causational factor, and you can make a Dupuytren’s contracture compensation claim if we can prove that work has either caused or made your condition worse.
Get in touch with us if you want to begin discussing your options for making a claw hand compensation claim.
What is my Employer Have Done to Prevent Claw Hand?
All employers are required to provide a safe working environment for their employees. By putting in place the right safety measures, providing adequate breaks and providing the right safety equipment Dupuytren’s contracture claims can be prevented. If your employer has failed to provide this to you, and you have developed a condition such as claw hand as a result, they can be held accountable, and you could be able to claim dupuytren’s contracture compensation.
Your employer is responsible for:
- Ensuring a safe working environment free of avoidable hazards
- Clearly defining how a job should be correctly carried out and undertaking risk assessments
- Providing communication channels for employees to raise any safety concerns they may have
- Providing areas in which workers can rest
- Ensuring that workers do not work excessive hours that may lead to accidents
If you have developed Dupuytren’s contracture due to your employer’s failure to fulfil these requirements, then we can help you to make a dupuytren’s contracture claim. Get in touch today to find out what you may be entitled to.
How Long will my Claw Hand Claim Take?
There will be two stages that will have an impact on how long your claim process will take. These two stages are:
- Determining who is held liable for your injury. If it occurred in your workplace, then this will most likely be found to be your employer.
- The medical evidence that you doctor will provide to show how your condition has affected your day to day life.
When you start your claim, our solicitors will keep you up to date on the process, so you always know where your claw hand claim is up to.
How will my Compensation Claim be Calculated?
To determine the amount of compensation that you will receive from your Dupuytren’s contracture claim a number of factors will be assessed, including:
- Any cost of care that you might already have had to pay, or may need to pay in the future
- Any medical bills that you have already paid, in addition to any future treatment
- Whether your Dupuytren’s contracture will prevent or may have already prevented you from working and therefore will result in a loss of earnings
Every case is unique. Compensation is calculated carefully taking into mind your exact circumstances.
Get in Touch to Start your Dupuytren’s Contracture Claim
When a condition affects your hands, it can have a significant impact on your mobility in day to day life. If you have developed Dupuytren’s Contracture because of safety failings on the part of your employer, our expert solicitors can help you with your compensation claim.
Here at AWH Solicitors, we have a great deal of experience with industrial disease claims. Our experts can help you throughout the process and offer the best advice.
Contact us today to get started with your claw hand compensation claim.Get in touch
Starting the process couldn’t be more simple!
- Contact us Get in touch however suits you best and arrange a consulation with one of our solicitors
- Meet an expert You’ll meet the expert solicitor assigned to your case and discuss all the necessary details
- Authorise Once we’ve got all the details of your case and you’re happy to proceed, just give us the go-ahead
- We get to work It’s time for us to get to work! We’ll set up your file on our system and get to work right away
Get in touch
Let us know how AWH Solicitors can help you by providing us with your details in the form below.
Please let us know when you want to be contacted so we can get in touch with you at a time that suits you best.