What are my Rights when I’ve had an Accident at Work?
I had an accident at work – what are my rights?
This question is a vital one when you have been unfortunate enough to suffer an injury in a workplace where you can reasonably expect to be in a safe environment. As an employee, you have certain rights that mean that you can make a compensation claim against your employer if you have suffered an avoidable accident.
Here at AWH Solicitors, we understand that suffering an injury at work can be very traumatic and want to be able to help make the legal side of things easier for you.
I had an Accident at Work - What are my Rights?
In any workplace, there are certain laws that mean that your employer has a duty of care towards you. This means that employees and anyone who enters onto the site of the business has to be reasonable protected from anything that can cause them harm.
In order to achieve this, a number of things must be done. These include:
- Carrying out regular risk assessments that address all potential harm in the workplace
- Giving all employees information about the risks that are in their workplace and how they are protected, in addition to instructing and training on how to avoid them
- Consulting employees on health and safety issues. This consultation must either be direct, or through a safety representative that is elected by the workforce or appointed by the trade union
If, as an employee, you feel that you are being exposed to dangers in your working environment, then you must raise your concerns as soon as possible.
If these concerns are ignored and you have suffered an accident at work because of your employer’s inability to protect you, you have the right to make a claim against them.
Claim Compensation for your Accident at Work
Were you injured at work? Get in touch with our personal injury solicitors and find out if you can claim compensation.
What Should I do After my Accident?
When you’ve had an accident at work, there are a few things that you can do in the aftermath of your injury that can help you during your compensation case. It is understandable if you are unable to do some of these things when you have just had a serious accident, but it can be a good idea to:
- Take photographs of the injury that you have sustained
- Take photographs of whatever it was that was the cause of your accident
- Take the details of any witnesses to your accident
- Make notes about your accident as soon as possible
- Ask witnesses to make any note about your accident
Your workplace is legally obliged to keep a workplace accident book, so it is also important that you ensure that your accident has been logged.
If there is anything that you are unsure of in regard to your accident at work, get in touch with our expert industrial disease solicitors for advice on what the next steps are.
Contact Us to Get Started with your Compensation Claim
If you have suffered an accident at work, it is important to know that you have certain rights as an employee.
Are you wondering what your rights are after you’ve had an accident at work? Our expert solicitors can help you with every element of your claim process and put your mind at ease that you will be getting the best possible legal support.
Get in touch today and find out how much compensation you may be owed.Get in touch
Starting the process couldn’t be more simple!
- Contact us Get in touch however suits you best and arrange a consulation with one of our solicitors
- Meet an expert You’ll meet the expert solicitor assigned to your case and discuss all the necessary details
- Authorise Once we’ve got all the details of your case and you’re happy to proceed, just give us the go-ahead
- We get to work It’s time for us to get to work! We’ll set up your file on our system and get to work right away
Get in touch
Let us know how AWH Solicitors can help you by providing us with your details in the form below.
Please let us know when you want to be contacted so we can get in touch with you at a time that suits you best.