Can You Get Mesothelioma Death Compensation for Family Members?
Mesothelioma is an aggressive, cancerous tumour that grows following exposure to asbestos.
Unfortunately, it is nearly always fatal, with patients being given anywhere between weeks and a few years to live after diagnosis.
It is sometimes possible for family members of mesothelioma patients to claim compensation on behalf of their loved one after the loved one’s death.
Of course, no amount of money will make up for the fact a family member is no longer around. However, compensation can cover expenses such as funeral costs and grief counselling for you and your family, making your healing process less stressful.
If your loved one has sadly passed away from mesothelioma, we could help you claim compensation for their death and the affect it has had on you and your family.Get in touch
What is Mesothelioma?
As mentioned above, mesothelioma is a type of cancer which grows because of asbestos exposure. It is rare, but severe, and unfortunately nearly always leads to death within a few years of diagnosis.
The cancer affects the mesothelium. This is the name for the lining which protects all internal organs in the human body.
Mesothelioma often causes damage to the lining around the lungs, which is called the pleura. This damage causes breathing difficulties.
Sadly, the symptoms of mesothelioma are almost identical to a less severe asbestos related disease called asbestosis, so many people don’t even realise that they are suffering from the former until the later stages of the disease.
Symptoms to watch out for include:
- Chest pain along with difficulty taking deep breaths and a fever
- Dry coughing or wheezing
- Fatigue and tiredness
- Abdominal pain
- Persistent hiccups and difficulty breathing
Often, a mesothelioma patient’s contact with asbestos occurred in a work environment due to lack of or inadequate protective equipment.
It could have happened decades before the person gets their diagnosis, because the damage to their lungs doesn’t usually become apparent for many years.
Have you been diagnosed with mesothelioma, or has your loved one passed away from the condition in the past three years? We could help you get compensated for your suffering.
How Compensation Can Help Families Who Have Lost a Loved One Due to a Mesothelioma Death
Mesothelioma death compensation will not make the grief you and your family feel after losing your loved one go away. However, it can help towards unforeseen expenses such as:
- The cost of the funeral
- A burial plot if you loved one wished to be buried
- Travel costs for family members to attend the funeral
- Wages lost due to family members having to take time off work to care for or visit the loved one before their death
- Grief counselling after their death
It may seem strange to even consider pursuing a claim after your loved one has passed away, but it can actually help you and your family to start the healing process.
A mesothelioma death compensation claim could also:
- Help you get answers about your loved one’s suffering,
- Hold those responsible accountable,
- Help to highlight the possibility of developing the condition to anyone who was also exposed to asbestos alongside your loved one, and
- Help you and your family achieve closure, enabling you to grieve and heal in the best way for you
Expert Mesothelioma Solicitors
As we have mentioned above, it is possible for family members of mesothelioma sufferers to claim compensation after their death. It is also possible for patients to pursue a claim themselves, even if they have only been given a short amount of time to live, because mesothelioma claims are often fast-tracked through the courts.
How much compensation a person can get for mesothelioma is calculated carefully using preset formulas, however if your claim is accepted by a solicitor they may be able to give you a rough estimate on the amount you could get.
Here at AWH we have helped many mesothelioma sufferers and their families to make a claim for compensation both before and after their death.
We understand how sensitive these cases can be, so not only offer you legal advice and representation, but also the emotional guidance and support you and your family needs at such a difficult time.
If you have been diagnosed with mesothelioma or your loved one has passed from the disease in the past three years, we could help you pursue a claim and help you get on the right track, to heal and move forward.Get in touch
Starting the process couldn’t be more simple!
- Contact us Get in touch however suits you best and arrange a consulation with one of our solicitors
- Meet an expert You’ll meet the expert solicitor assigned to your case and discuss all the necessary details
- Authorise Once we’ve got all the details of your case and you’re happy to proceed, just give us the go-ahead
- We get to work It’s time for us to get to work! We’ll set up your file on our system and get to work right away
Get in touch
Let us know how AWH Solicitors can help you by providing us with your details in the form below.
Please let us know when you want to be contacted so we can get in touch with you at a time that suits you best.