Can I Make an Erb’s Palsy Compensation Claim?
Erb’s palsy compensation claims are necessary in situations where your baby may have suffered damage to their shoulders or upper arms, especially during a long or difficult birthing process. As this has potential to have a lasting affect on your child’s life, we understand that seeking compensation for this is an important part of the recovery process.
Here at AWH Solicitors, we are experienced in medical negligence cases, and can help you get the compensation that you need.
Contact us today.
What is Erb's Palsy?
Erb’s palsy is a form of condition that affects the network of nerves near the neck that also have control over all the nerves in the arm. These nerves in turn provide movement and feeling to the shoulder, arm, hand and fingers. ‘Erb’ refers to the doctor who first described the condition, Wilhelm Erb and the term ‘palsy’ means weakness.
This condition is most often caused when an infant’s neck is stretched to the side. In some cases, this can lead to children growing up with one arm being shorter than the other. Other long term effects may be:
- A lingering weakness in the affected arm
- A decreased range of motion in the affected joints
- A difficulty with circular movements of the shoulder or elbow joints
With the right physical therapy exercises, there is a high chance that infants will be able to recover movement and feeling in the affected area, so it important that you are able to access the best medical care. Through a erb’s palsy compensation claim, you can get the financial support that you will need for this.
Contact our experts for legal advice.
Can I make Erb's Palsy Compensation claims?
When seeking compensation for an Erb’s Palsy claim, there are a few things that may have happened during the birth of your child that could mean that you are able to secure compensation. These include:
- If your medical professional did not take the necessary steps to move your baby out of a trapped position
- If your medical professional did not refer you for a caesarean section if you had a family history of problematic births
- If your medical professional did not use the correct tools during the birth
- If your medical professional used unnecessary force in the birth
If the Erb’s Palsy that your child has suffered from was caused by an avoidable action, then you can likely make a claim for compensation. Contact us to begin the claim process.
How long would my claim take?
There are a wide range of things that would need to be assessed when trying to estimate how long your Erb’s Palsy compensation claim could take. There are two things that need to be considered within the process. These are:
- Liability – determining who was predominantly responsible for the accident that caused the Erb’s Palsy in your child
- Medical evidence – evidence of the severity of their condition and therefore the impact that it is likely to have on your child’s life
Your child may also need to be examined by multiple medical professionals, which can extend the time that it may take your claim to be assessed. The more severe that your child’s injuries are the longer the process may also take. We can help you by making the legal side of things as simple and hassle-free as possible.
We are ready and willing to help with any medical negligence claim and understand the sensitive nature of claims involving infants. Allow us to help you gain the compensation that you and your child deserve and start on the road to recovery.
Contact us today.
Starting the process couldn’t be more simple!
- Contact us Get in touch however suits you best and arrange a consulation with one of our solicitors
- Meet an expert You’ll meet the expert solicitor assigned to your case and discuss all the necessary details
- Authorise Once we’ve got all the details of your case and you’re happy to proceed, just give us the go-ahead
- We get to work It’s time for us to get to work! We’ll set up your file on our system and get to work right away
Get in touch
Let us know how AWH Solicitors can help you by providing us with your details in the form below.
Please let us know when you want to be contacted so we can get in touch with you at a time that suits you best.