Can I Claim for a Failed Root Canal?
Failed root canal treatment is always difficult for the patient, because they have to go through unnecessary dental procedures that could have been avoided if the original root canal had been successful. We understand that many people find dental work traumatic, and so our legal help can allow you to focus on your physical recovery, rather than having to worry about paperwork.
Get in touch today for expert legal advice if you have suffered from a failed root canal.
What is a failed root canal?
Root canal treatment, also known as endodontics, is a dental procedure that is used to treat an infection at the centre of a tooth. This can happen after tooth decay, leaky fillings or damage to the teeth due to an accident.
Root canal treatment is required when dental X-rays show that the root of the tooth has been damaged by a bacterial infection.
The symptoms that could occur when you need a root canal include:
- Pain when eating or drinking hot or cold food and drink
- Pain when biting or chewing
- A loose tooth
Unfortunately, it can sometimes seem like the tooth may have healed because the symptoms will stop when the tooth has died. However, the infection may then have spread to the root canal system. You will then get more severe symptoms. These are:
- Your face swelling
- Pus oozing from the affected tooth
- Pain when biting or chewing
- Swelling of the gums
- The tooth darkening in colour
Root canal treatment is done by removing the bacteria from the root canal system, filling the empty gap and then sealing the tooth with a filling or crown.
Failed root canal treatment is when some of the bacteria is not removed properly and the infection is able to develop further.
Can I make a claim?
If your dentist has failed to successfully carry out a root canal procedure and have been negligent in their care towards you, then you may be able to make a claim against them. Making a dental negligence claim can sometimes seem daunting, but our trained solicitors can provide you with all that you will need in order to have a very simple claims process. Get in touch for a chat about your situation.
How long will my claim take?
It is difficult to be able to say exactly how long it will take for your dental negligence claim to be resolved. The process is twofold, and the two steps that are involved include;
- Firstly, proving liability for who was responsible for your failed root canal. This will most likely be your dentist
- Secondly, providing the evidence for how the failed root canal has had an effect on your life
If liability is disputed by the professional that carried out your procedure, then the claims process can sometimes take longer. If your condition has been particularly bad, this can also lengthen the process.
If there is anything in the claims process that you are uncertain about, a chat with our specialists can make everything clear.
Here at AWH, our medical negligence solicitors are always ready to help anyone who has been unfortunate enough to suffer from a dental negligence case.
Get in touch today
Starting the process couldn’t be more simple!
- Contact us Get in touch however suits you best and arrange a consulation with one of our solicitors
- Meet an expert You’ll meet the expert solicitor assigned to your case and discuss all the necessary details
- Authorise Once we’ve got all the details of your case and you’re happy to proceed, just give us the go-ahead
- We get to work It’s time for us to get to work! We’ll set up your file on our system and get to work right away
Get in touch
Let us know how AWH Solicitors can help you by providing us with your details in the form below.
Please let us know when you want to be contacted so we can get in touch with you at a time that suits you best.