Can I Take Legal Action Against a Private Dentist?
Taking legal action against a private dentist is a key step in the recovery process from a botched dental procedure. At AWH Solicitors, we understand that it can be traumatic to go to the dentist at the best of times, never mind when something goes wrong. We can help you with the compensation process, and make sure that it is as straightforward as possible.
Get in touch today for expert advice on taking legal action against a private dentist.
What is the process for taking legal action against a private dentist?
Even if your dentist is operating within a private practice, you can still make a claim against them if they have caused you an unnecessary dental problem due to their negligence. Common examples of dental negligence can include:
- Periodontal disease misdiagnosis
- Cosmetic dentistry problems
- Nerve Injury
- Delay or incorrect diagnosis – including oral cancer misdiagnosis
- Restorative dentistry errors
- Mistakes in treatment leading to the loss or damage of multiple teeth
It is helpful to start your claims process as soon as possible, because you need to make your claim within three years from the point of receiving negligent treatment. After three years have passed you will no longer be able to make a claim. Get in touch with our trained solicitors today for a chat.
How will my claim be calculated?
It is difficult to say exactly how much compensation you could get for taking legal action against your dentist, but there are a number of things that will be considered in the process of your claim being calculated. The factors that need to be considered are:
- The loss of earnings that you may have suffered due to not being able to work after your delayed dental diagnosis or injury
- Your overall medical prognosis and any follow up treatment that you will need
- How the incorrect procedure has had an impact on your life
If your dental injury is serious enough, you may need to be examined by multiple dental professionals. Additionally, your solicitor may advise you that it is best to claim when you have an idea of your full recovery, as you will not be able to earn any further compensation for a condition that later gets worse if your case has already been settled.
If you have any questions, contact our solicitors for help.
How long will my claim process take?
In the same way that it is difficult to estimate the amount of compensation you could get from taking legal action against a private dentist, it is also difficult to say exactly how long the process could take. There will likely be two steps to the overall process. They are:
- Firstly, proving liability for who was responsible for your injury or illness
- Secondly, providing the medical evidence for how the dental condition or injury has affected you physically
In some cases, it can take a while for the liability to be decided and this can mean that the process could potentially be longer. However, it should be that the liability will rest with your private dentist in this case, and so the process can be more straightforward with the right legal assistance. Get in touch with us today for advice.
Here at AWH, our expert solicitors are well trained in dental negligence cases and have plenty of experience to help you with your case.
Get in touch today.
Starting the process couldn’t be more simple!
- Contact us Get in touch however suits you best and arrange a consulation with one of our solicitors
- Meet an expert You’ll meet the expert solicitor assigned to your case and discuss all the necessary details
- Authorise Once we’ve got all the details of your case and you’re happy to proceed, just give us the go-ahead
- We get to work It’s time for us to get to work! We’ll set up your file on our system and get to work right away
Get in touch
Let us know how AWH Solicitors can help you by providing us with your details in the form below.
Please let us know when you want to be contacted so we can get in touch with you at a time that suits you best.