Can I Claim For Manual Handling Injuries?
Manual handling injuries are unfortunately still prevalent in a number of industries. When employers fail to provide the correct training for their employees, it can often result in avoidable accidents in the workplace.
If you have suffered an injury at work that could have been prevented had the right safety measures been in place, then you can claim injury compensation.
Here at AWH Solicitors, we specialise in being able to support you throughout your injury claim and get you the compensation that you deserve.
Get in touch today to start your manual handling injuries compensation claim and get back on track.
What are Common Types of Manual Handling Injuries?
There are a number of different ways in which you can sustain such injuries.
The injuries generally come about from performing actions that involve:
- Raising Items
Because of this, some of the industries that are most affected by manual handling injuries include those who work in:
- Transportation and storage industries
- Agriculture, forestry and fishing
- Human health and social work activities
How can these Injuries be Avoided?
In order to avoid their employees suffering from manual handling injuries, all employers must be able to prove that they fulfil certain safety regulations in their workplace.
These regulations include:
- Consulting employees on health and safety issues. This consultation must either be directly between employees and employers, or it can also be through a safety representative that is elected by the workforce or appointed by the trade union.
- Carrying out regular risk assessments that address all potential for harm in the workplace, including types of manual handling injuries that could occur.
- Giving all employees information about the risks that are in their workplace and how they are protected, in addition to instructing and training employees on how to avoid them.
In the case of manual handling, employers must take specific care to instruct their employees on the correct way to lift and move heavy loads, to avoid any potential musculoskeletal injuries. This should certainly be a priority for employers, as studies have estimated that these are some of the greatest risks to injury in the workplace.
Manual Handling Injuries cost Businesses over 1 Million Working Days Every Year
The UK’s Health and Safety executive have in recent years reported that the British work force are losing more than 1.6 million working days due to manual injuries every year.
These injuries causing days lost are usually referred to as musculoskeletal disorders but they also include injuries such as strains, sprains, trapped fingers, cuts from sharp objects or any other injury arising from carrying, lifting, pulling or pushing heavy loads.
This staggering figure highlights the need for greater awareness surrounding our manual workforce culture and the importance of manual handling training along with general health and safety knowledge on both the employer’s and employee’s part.
Can I Make a Manual Handling Injury Claim?
If you have injured yourself at work because of your employer’s inability to provide the correct training, then you may be able to make a claim. We can help you to provide the right evidence to support your case and get the compensation that you deserve for your accident.
How Long will my Manual Handling Injury Claim take?
It is difficult to put an exact time scale on how long your manual handling injury claim could take.
There are two parts to the process. These two stages are:
- Firstly, it has to be determined who is responsible for your injury. In cases like this, your employer will most likely be responsible for your manual handling injury claim.
- Secondly, the medical evidence from your injury must also be assessed in order to determine how it has affected you and therefore how much compensation you can claim.
If you require multiple medical assessments, then your overall claim time could potentially take longer. However, with the right legal assistance, it is possible to move through the process as efficiently as possible.
Get In Touch and Find Out How Much You Can Claim
If you have suffered from a manual handling injury, then compensation can be what you need in order to make a full recovery and get back to your normal self. Our industrial disease solicitors can help you to argue your case and get what you need.
Get in touch today to find out what compensation you are entitled to.
Starting the process couldn’t be more simple!
- Contact us Get in touch however suits you best and arrange a consulation with one of our solicitors
- Meet an expert You’ll meet the expert solicitor assigned to your case and discuss all the necessary details
- Authorise Once we’ve got all the details of your case and you’re happy to proceed, just give us the go-ahead
- We get to work It’s time for us to get to work! We’ll set up your file on our system and get to work right away
Get in touch
Let us know how AWH Solicitors can help you by providing us with your details in the form below.
Please let us know when you want to be contacted so we can get in touch with you at a time that suits you best.