When Can I Start My Compensation Claim for my Workplace Injury?
When you have suffered from a workplace injury, it can be difficult to know where to begin when thinking about claiming compensation. Here at AWH, we have plenty of experience with providing the legal assistance needed in the aftermath of industrial accidents.
Contact us today and start your workplace compensation claim.Get in touch
What Should I do when I’ve Had an Accident at Work?
In order to be able to provide the best possible evidence for your case, there are certain things that you can do in the aftermath of your workplace injury. Although it is understandable that it may be difficult to carry out all of these steps, even partially completing some of them can be helpful. The best things to do after a workplace injury, if you can, are:
- Take photos of the scene where your accident happened, taking care to highlight the obvious hazards that have led to your injury or accident
- Take notes on the circumstances of your accident and anything or anyone that was involved
- Ask anyone who was a witness to your accident to record their own version of events as they saw them. Also take their contact details in case you will need to ask them anything further or seek more clarification
- Take further photos of any injuries that have occurred as a result of your accident
The right compensation for a workplace injury can help you to pay any necessary medical bills that you may have accumulated since your accident, as well as covering any lost wages from times that you have not been able to go into work.
What are my Rights as an Employee in the Workplace?
As an employee, your employer must adhere to certain rules. If they do not fulfil these requirements, then they are technically breaking the law. These requirements are:
- That they must give all employees information about the risks that are present in their workplace and detailing how they are sufficiently protected from these risks. Additionally, employees must also be taught how they can best avoid them
- That they must carry out regular risk assessments that address all of the potential hazards in the workplace
- That they must also directly consult all employees on health and safety issues. This consultation must either be done directly, or it can be through a safety representative who is elected by the workforce or appointed by the trade union
If, as an employee, you feel that you have been exposed to dangers in your workplace, then you must make your concerns known to your employer as soon as possible. If the concerns you raise are ignored and your employer fails to take action to assist you, then you may be entitled to workplace injury compensation.
How Would my Claim be Calculated?
The different aspects that will be considered when your settlement is being calculated will include:
- Whether your injury has stopped you from doing further work and will therefore result in a loss of earnings
- Any medical expenses that you may have already paid in addition to any future treatment
- Any cost of care that you have already had to receive or may need to receive in the future
Because every case is unique, there may be other factors that need to be considered when compensation is being calculated. A chat with one of our legal professionals can help you to gain a better understanding of how much you could be entitled to.
How Long could my Workplace Injury Claim take?
There are two stages to the process of a claim being made. These stages are:
- Determining who will be held legally liable for your injury. If it is an accident that has occurred in your workplace, then it will most likely be your employer who will be held liable.
- After liability has been established, the medical evidence of your injury must be examined in order to see how it has had an impact on your life.
If you have been affected by an injury at work, it is important to get the support that you need – claiming workplace injury compensation can be the first step towards that.
Get in Touch with Our Workplace Injury Experts
We have a great number of successful cases of this nature and are well equipped to help you with your injury claim.
Contact us today and start your compensation claim.Get in touch
Starting the process couldn’t be more simple!
- Contact us Get in touch however suits you best and arrange a consulation with one of our solicitors
- Meet an expert You’ll meet the expert solicitor assigned to your case and discuss all the necessary details
- Authorise Once we’ve got all the details of your case and you’re happy to proceed, just give us the go-ahead
- We get to work It’s time for us to get to work! We’ll set up your file on our system and get to work right away
Get in touch
Let us know how AWH Solicitors can help you by providing us with your details in the form below.
Please let us know when you want to be contacted so we can get in touch with you at a time that suits you best.