Apprentice Wins £13,000 for Mitre Saw Injury

Mitre saw cutting wood
LPC & GDL Matthew Shiels
Case by: LPC & GDL Matthew Shiels

An AWH client has been rewarded compensation of £13,000 after a mitre saw cut into his wrist during his college apprenticeship.


About the Case:

Our client is a college student who is, carrying out their studies through an apprenticeship. On the day in question, our client was required to learn how to cut skirting boards with a mitre saw. He was not provided with the correct equipment and was not supervised during this task. As a result, the mitre saw slipped, causing a deep cut in the wrist.

The mitre saw had severed our client’s tendon which resulted in him having to be taken to hospital where he received surgery to repair his tendon and to ensure that there was no long-term nerve damage.


What was the Outcome?

The claim was shortly settled after a witness exchange.

With the expert assistance of our Industrial Disease and Personal Injury Specialist, Stacy Pimlott, our client won £13,000 in damages.

If you have been affected by a case of industrial disease or injury at the workplace, AWH is able to provide you with the legal help and support you may need.


Steps to Take if You’ve Been Injured at Work:

If you have suffered an injury at work that could have been prevented, there are some steps you to take that will assist you later in the legal process. Having a record of your accident will assist in your claim for compensation, or your claim for Statuary Sick Pay (SSP). If your workplace has more than ten employees, it must legally record your accident in an accident book. It’s also advisable where possible that you:

  • Take photographs of your injury, what caused the accident and the location of where the injury happened
  • Make detailed notes on your accident as soon as possible.
  • Ask any witnesses of the accident to record what they saw and share it with you

Regulations can be slightly different depending on if you work in the location where the accident happened, or if you are self-employed and visiting the location where the accident occurred. For both options, you must report the accident to the Health and Safety Executive or manager who was working when you had the accident.

Read more about accidents and injuries in the workplace here.

Have you suffered an accident or injury at work that could have been prevented? Get in touch using the contact form or call us on 0800 999 2220.

Get in touch

Hear more about the member(s) of our team featured above: