If you are ready to buy a new property, then our expert conveyancing solicitors can help.
We are proud to hold and maintain a Law Society Conveyancing Quality Accreditation, and our years of experience allow us to assist you with a full range of conveyancing needs.
Buying a Property in the UK – The Conveyancing Process
There are a number of steps in the conveyancing process, but it doesn’t have to be complicated.
- Making an offer
Once you’ve found the property you want to commit to, you’ll need to tell the seller what you’re willing to pay.
- Instructing a conveyancing solicitor
If this offer is accepted, then you will need to instruct one of our solicitors to handle the conveyancing process for buying the property on your behalf.
- Organising a mortgage for the property
In most cases, you will depend on a mortgage to purchase a property. A mortgage advisor will be able to advise you on what type of mortgage is best for you, find the best offer and apply for your mortgage on your behalf. We cannot offer advice on the mortgage, but we can talk you through the terms of the one that you choose.
- Checking contracts and carrying out property searches
At this point, we will exchange the relevant information with the seller’s solicitor and check through all the contracts thoroughly. We will also need to organise a number of property checks in order to protect you and your lender. These include:
- Local authority records detailing planning decisions, road building proposals and rights of way. The search will only cover information that is relevant to the property that you are purchasing.
- Local land charges register – this details any obligations you would have to the local authority or government.
- Drainage and water services to the property detailing whether waste will go into a public or a private sewer.
- An environmental search, which will check that the property is not on contaminated land or at risk from other environmental factors, such as flooding.
- Chancel Indemnity Insurance to cover you against potential Chancel repair liability (repairs to a local church).
These legal searches must be carried out, but they are not in place of a physical survey on the property that is carried out by a qualified surveyor. You must arrange this separately.
- The exchange of contracts and payment of deposit
When we have discussed all of the findings of the searches with you and know that you are happy to proceed, we can set a date for the exchange of contracts and payment of deposit. On the date of this exchange, we will exchange contracts with the seller’s solicitors on your behalf. This will legally bind you into buying the property.
After the contracts have been exchanged, we will transfer the deposit to the seller’s solicitor and get the title deeds transferred. Once the completion funds are received by the seller’s solicitor, the sale is completed and the seller will drop the keys off to the estate agent.
To instruct us to act on your behalf when buying property, or to request a quote from our conveyancing solicitors, then get started by calling us on 01254 274000, or by completing the below contact form today.
Starting the process couldn’t be more simple!
- Contact us Get in touch however suits you best and arrange a consulation with one of our solicitors
- Meet an expert You’ll meet the expert solicitor assigned to your case and discuss all the necessary details
- Authorise Once we’ve got all the details of your case and you’re happy to proceed, just give us the go-ahead
- We get to work It’s time for us to get to work! We’ll set up your file on our system and get to work right away
What our clients are saying about us
Our Promise to You
Friendly, personal legal services
We promise that our approachable solicitors will provide you with a genuinely personal service that puts your needs first. Our team of experts are always on hand to give you support when you need it.
Award-winning service in our fields of expertise
We pride ourselves in offering the highest standards of service across each of our legal departments. Regardless of your situation, we promise to provide you with the very best legal advice.
Advice tailored to your needs
We promise to listen to your needs and offer the right guidance for your situation.
There is no ‘one-size-fits-all’ solution in any area of the law. Every case requires a tailored approach and you deserve a solicitor who understands this.
Outstanding customer service and care
Our excellent reputation is built on our exceptional level of client care.
Every case is handled with the highest level of respect and many of our clients go on to recommend us after building an invaluable relationship with our solicitors.
Transparent fees and processes
Transparency is very important to us. We promise to provide you with total transparency on fees, so you know exactly what you are paying for. We’ll also make sure you’re kept updated on the progress of your case every step of the way.