Arrangements for children after divorce or separation UK

As experienced children law solicitors we know that your number one concern is the wellbeing of your children. Our expert family law solicitors are here for you to help you with all your child arrangements in a sensitive and understanding manner. 

Even when both parties are working positively together, divorce can have a lasting impact on everyone involved. We’ll make sure your children's needs come first throughout your divorce and separation proceedings.

From our Blackburn and Manchester offices we can provide our services locally and across the country. We are here for you and your family to make this time of your life as easy and pain-free as possible. Get in touch to learn more about how we can help you with any of your child and family law matters.

AWH Solicitors is a provider of legal aid services, so legal aid may be available to you.

Please note: We are a solicitor firm with offices in Manchester and Blackburn, United Kingdom, and can only assist in family law matters to those living in England and Wales.

Quick Links

Common orders and agreements between separated parents

It can often be difficult to agree on a best way forward with your ex-partner, especially when children are involved. In these situations, we can offer the advice you need to deal with any family law matters, keeping your children’s wellbeing in the forefront.

For example, we can help you with:

  • Residence orders

These are legally binding orders between you and your ex to help you finalise the agreements on where your children will live.

  • Contact orders

These are legally binding orders which will set out how much contact you and your ex will have with your children.

  • Prohibited steps orders

These are legally binding orders that will prevent either of you from taking particular action with your children, such as taking them abroad.

  • Specific issue orders

Specific issue orders will help you to resolve a specific dispute, such as which school your children should attend.

  • Parental responsibility agreements

These agreements protect your legal rights to be involved in important decisions about your children’s health, education and welfare.

  • Agreements on change of name

Agreements you can set out with your ex when either of you want to change your child’s name.

  • Agreements on international or national relocation

Agreements helping you settle disputes about moving children abroad or to another area of the country with the other parent.

Our Manchester and Blackburn based family law solicitors have many years of experience helping parents to resolve their disputes in the best interest of their children, and we are ready to help you. 

Setting out clear arrangements

To minimise the negative affect of separation on yourself and your children, it is always better to have a divorce on good terms, however, we know that unfortunately this is not always possible.

No matter how friendly or disagreeable the contact with your ex currently is, we can help you reach the agreements protecting yourself and your children.

When all matters are negotiated fairly, and clear agreements have been reached about children and finances, the healing process can begin.

Getting help with your divorce and child arrangements can save you a lot of time, frustration and hassle. Our family law solicitors will ensure your matters are dealt with as swiftly as possible, causing you the least possible stress and upset.

Child agreements - Keeping the child's best interest in mind

Divorce and separation can have a significant impact on a child’s life. That’s why we will always keep your child’s best interest in mind. Our children law solicitors have given support and guidance to hundreds of families over a wide range of legal matters involving children, including child arrangement orders.

Who your children should live with, when they should see their parents or grandparents, financial terms and child maintenance agreements all need deciding. Our child custody solicitors based in Manchester and Blackburn are on-hand to provide sound, honest and clear child law advice on each one.

children law

 Blackburn and Manchester-based children law solicitors

Based in Manchester and Blackburn, our children law solicitors are here to provide the guidance and support you need. We understand your concerns as a parent and will act swiftly to protect the interests of you and your children.

If there are serious concerns about your child’s immediate safety and welfare, we can act urgently to provide them with protection with immediate effect.

We will guide you along every step of the legal process, giving you our honest, considered advice on all the complex aspects of divorce and children’s law.

We will do what we can to support and guide you through the process of your divorce. Our divorce solicitors can help you with all your family law matters, including those not related to child arrangements.

We will handle your divorce with care, helping you minimise the negative effects of custody and child maintenance disagreements. By doing this we hope to secure a brighter future for you all.

Bespoke child law advice and support

Our expert family and child law solicitors know that each family and each divorce is different. That is why we ensure that our advice is tailored to you.

Depending on your situation, one or more of our services may be relevant. Our family law solicitors handle legal matters regarding child arrangements, divorce, financial settlements, cohabitation agreements, mediation and pre and postnuptial agreements. Whatever you need, we can help.

Court orders and child agreements

The Children Act 1989 sets out specific duties to parents, courts and other local authorities and agencies within the UK. It’s designed to ensure that children are safeguarded, and that their welfare is always being considered.

As such, in all cases within child law, the courts focus on what is in the best interest of your child or children. Child welfare is their main concern when making any decisions about child arrangement and child maintenance orders.

What our children law solicitors can do for you

Experienced family law solicitors will ensure that all agreements are set out clearly. This means that future arguments over previous agreements – or a child arrangement order breach – can be avoided or dealt with quickly, causing less of a strain on you and your family.

Arguments over child custody and child maintenance are often the most bitter aspects of the divorce negotiations. We will work tirelessly to help you reach a positive agreement between you and your ex-partner, and always focus on minimising the negative impacts of your divorce on your children.

In addition to our family law services, we also offer expert support for Will writing, setting up a Trust and setting up Power of Attorney, so all your matters can be safely set up in one place.

Our family law solicitors based in Blackburn and Manchester will do what is best for you and your children as quickly, cost-effectively and efficiently as possible. To find out how we can help, give us a call today or request a call back.

Starting the process couldn’t be more simple!

  • Contact us Contact us Get in touch however suits you best and arrange a consulation with one of our solicitors
  • Meet an expert Meet an expert You’ll meet the expert solicitor assigned to your case and discuss all the necessary details
  • Authorise Authorise Once we’ve got all the details of your case and you’re happy to proceed, just give us the go-ahead
  • We get to work We get to work It’s time for us to get to work! We’ll set up your file on our system and get to work right away
We’re with you, every step of the way

What our clients are saying about us

We received an average 4.5 out of 5 based on 406 reviews.
You were the third solicitor firm who handled my claim. Things were going at a pedantic rate but your file handles Craig Johnson kept me informed and advised me whenever! The claim took over 3 years from start to finish but Craig worked on it in good time.
Client Satisfaction Survey
Many thanks to Stacy and everyone else at AWH for their hard work.
Client Satisfaction Survey
Sandra H
I can really recommend Saba Khan, she made the process a pleasure and turned our sale and purchase around in four weeks, efficient and great communication.

Our Promise to You

  • Friendly, personal legal services Friendly, personal legal services

    We promise that our approachable solicitors will provide you with a genuinely personal service that puts your needs first. Our team of experts are always on hand to give you support when you need it.

  • Award-winning service in our fields of expertise Award-winning service in our fields of expertise

    We pride ourselves in offering the highest standards of service across each of our legal departments. Regardless of your situation, we promise to provide you with the very best legal advice.

  • Advice tailored to your needs Advice tailored to your needs

    We promise to listen to your needs and offer the right guidance for your situation.

    There is no ‘one-size-fits-all’ solution in any area of the law. Every case requires a tailored approach and you deserve a solicitor who understands this.

  • Outstanding customer service and care Outstanding customer service and care

    Our excellent reputation is built on our exceptional level of client care.

    Every case is handled with the highest level of respect and many of our clients go on to recommend us after building an invaluable relationship with our solicitors.

  • Transparent fees and processes Transparent fees and processes

    Transparency is very important to us. We promise to provide you with total Transparencyrency on fees, so you know exactly what you are paying for. We’ll also make sure you’re kept updated on the progress of your case every step of the way.

  • Approachable and friendly solicitors