Domestic Abuse services
Legal assistance in cases of domestic abuse
If this sounds like you, get in touch. We will be by your side throughout your separation process and help you move forward.
Depending on your circumstances, you may need our help with your separation or divorce, division of assets and child arrangements. In cases of domestic abuse you may also need a:
We will be here for you
Even if it feels like there’s no way out, there is. No-one deserves to be in a relationship dictated by fear, and you should never be made to feel that you can’t ask for help if you feel like you are being abused.
Our expert family law solicitors understand that cases of domestic abuse need to be dealt with sensitively and urgently. In these type of cases, your safety and that of your children is always our main priority.
At AWH Solicitors, we will make sure you feel safe and comfortable throughout your separation or divorce.
The protective measurements we can enforce
We have years of experience in helping domestic abuse victims reclaim their freedom. This allows us to offer you the best advice for your situation.
We can help you apply for one or both of the following, as well as helping with your divorce or separation agreements:
- A non-molestation order: this will prevent the abusive person from using violent or threatening behaviour towards you
- An occupation order: this will prevent them from entering your home
If the individual breaches the terms of their court order, they could face several years imprisonment, however this is very rare. We can also arrange protection for your children and help you get a divorce from your abusive partner.
Not wanting to deal with your partner directly in this situation is perfectly understandable. If this is the case, we can manage any separation issues on your behalf.
Recognising the signs of domestic abuse
Domestic abuse isn’t always physical. Below are some common examples of abusive behaviour which you should look out for, whether in your own life or someone else’s:
- Harassment – this includes stalking, sending unwanted texts and letters, humiliating you or violating your privacy
- Isolation – this could be anything from pressurising or encouraging you to stay away from friends and family to banning contact with the outside world entirely. It’s also common for abusers to monitor online behaviour and text messages
- Verbal abuse – belittling, name-calling, making accusations and excessive shouting are all examples of verbally abusive behaviour
- Threats – this could include acting in an intimidating way, threatening violence towards you or your family members or destroying your belongings
- Controlling behaviour – controlling your access to money, clothing or even food would classify as abuse. Controlling behaviour is one of the first signs of an abusive relationship, but it can be mistaken as romantic and passionate. This behaviour tends to get a lot worse over time
- Sexual violence – this may include using force towards the victim, degrading them or making sexual and violent threats
Our advice on starting a domestic abuse case
Although the facts of every domestic abuse case differ, we strongly recommend that you take the following steps, if you haven’t taken them yet:
- Report any incidents of abuse to the police immediately
- If you are injured, seek medical advice as soon as possible and keep a copy of your GP’s report. If possible, we also recommend that you take photographs of any injuries to build evidence against the abuser
- Save proof of any abusive or threatening communication such as text messages, emails or letters
- Keep all of this information in a personal diary, noting specific times and dates wherever you can
These are all unpleasant tasks and may lead to some distressing memories. It is crucial, however, that you gather enough evidence for your domestic abuse solicitors to use.
This will then improve your chances of being granted a protection order and getting justice.
Guidance and support for victims of domestic abuse
If you have not taken action or tried to get help from anyone else yet, we can help.
We can liaise with other groups so everything is dealt with efficiently and with the least possible hassle. The kind of groups you may want to contact include:
- The police
- Women’s refuge
- Counselling centres
- Victim support
Please do not hesitate to contact our family law solicitors for help with domestic violence. We can arrange a confidential discussion about your case whenever you feel comfortable.
Starting the process couldn’t be more simple!
- Contact us Get in touch however suits you best and arrange a consulation with one of our solicitors
- Meet an expert You’ll meet the expert solicitor assigned to your case and discuss all the necessary details
- Authorise Once we’ve got all the details of your case and you’re happy to proceed, just give us the go-ahead
- We get to work It’s time for us to get to work! We’ll set up your file on our system and get to work right away
What our clients are saying about us
Very efficient firm. You have handled my case’s impeccably. My advisor, Charlotte, has been 100% professional and efficient.
Excellent service provided by Cathryn and Shayheda from immigration very helpful and understanding. Kept me informed throught the whole process and made it simple as possible. Would highly recommend for immigration matters.
A++ thank you Matthew. Everything dealt with professionally. Pleasant to deal with. Everything explained to me and regular updates. Would and have highly recommended AWH and then of course Mr H.
Our Promise to You
Friendly, personal legal services
We promise that our approachable solicitors will provide you with a genuinely personal service that puts your needs first. Our team of experts are always on hand to give you support when you need it.
Award-winning service in our fields of expertise
We pride ourselves in offering the highest standards of service across each of our legal departments. Regardless of your situation, we promise to provide you with the very best legal advice.
Advice tailored to your needs
We promise to listen to your needs and offer the right guidance for your situation.
There is no ‘one-size-fits-all’ solution in any area of the law. Every case requires a tailored approach and you deserve a solicitor who understands this.
Outstanding customer service and care
Our excellent reputation is built on our exceptional level of client care.
Every case is handled with the highest level of respect and many of our clients go on to recommend us after building an invaluable relationship with our solicitors.
Transparent fees and processes
Transparency is very important to us. We promise to provide you with total Transparencyrency on fees, so you know exactly what you are paying for. We’ll also make sure you’re kept updated on the progress of your case every step of the way.
Get in touch
Let us know how AWH Solicitors can help you by providing us with your details in the form below.
Please let us know when you want to be contacted so we can get in touch with you at a time that suits you best.