Domestic Abuse services
Legal assistance in cases of domestic abuse
If this sounds like you, get in touch. We will be by your side throughout your separation process and help you move forward.
Depending on your circumstances, you may need our help with your separation or divorce, division of assets and child arrangements. In cases of domestic abuse you may also need a:Get in touch
We will be here for you
Even if it feels like there’s no way out, there is. No-one deserves to be in a relationship dictated by fear, and you should never be made to feel that you can’t ask for help if you feel like you are being abused.
Our expert family law solicitors understand that cases of domestic abuse need to be dealt with sensitively and urgently. In these type of cases, your safety and that of your children is always our main priority.
At AWH Solicitors, we will make sure you feel safe and comfortable throughout your separation or divorce.
The protective measurements we can enforce
We have years of experience in helping domestic abuse victims reclaim their freedom. This allows us to offer you the best advice for your situation.
We can help you apply for one or both of the following, as well as helping with your divorce or separation agreements:
- A non-molestation order: this will prevent the abusive person from using violent or threatening behaviour towards you
- An occupation order: this will prevent them from entering your home
If the individual breaches the terms of their court order, they could face several years imprisonment, however this is very rare. We can also arrange protection for your children and help you get a divorce from your abusive partner.
Not wanting to deal with your partner directly in this situation is perfectly understandable. If this is the case, we can manage any separation issues on your behalf.
Recognising the signs of domestic abuse
Domestic abuse isn’t always physical. Below are some common examples of abusive behaviour which you should look out for, whether in your own life or someone else’s:
- Harassment – this includes stalking, sending unwanted texts and letters, humiliating you or violating your privacy
- Isolation – this could be anything from pressurising or encouraging you to stay away from friends and family to banning contact with the outside world entirely. It’s also common for abusers to monitor online behaviour and text messages
- Verbal abuse – belittling, name-calling, making accusations and excessive shouting are all examples of verbally abusive behaviour
- Threats – this could include acting in an intimidating way, threatening violence towards you or your family members or destroying your belongings
- Controlling behaviour – controlling your access to money, clothing or even food would classify as abuse. Controlling behaviour is one of the first signs of an abusive relationship, but it can be mistaken as romantic and passionate. This behaviour tends to get a lot worse over time
- Sexual violence – this may include using force towards the victim, degrading them or making sexual and violent threats
Our advice on starting a domestic abuse case
Although the facts of every domestic abuse case differ, we strongly recommend that you take the following steps, if you haven’t taken them yet:
- Report any incidents of abuse to the police immediately
- If you are injured, seek medical advice as soon as possible and keep a copy of your GP’s report. If possible, we also recommend that you take photographs of any injuries to build evidence against the abuser
- Save proof of any abusive or threatening communication such as text messages, emails or letters
- Keep all of this information in a personal diary, noting specific times and dates wherever you can
These are all unpleasant tasks and may lead to some distressing memories. It is crucial, however, that you gather enough evidence for your domestic abuse solicitors to use.
This will then improve your chances of being granted a protection order and getting justice.
Guidance and support for victims of domestic abuse
If you have not taken action or tried to get help from anyone else yet, we can help.
We can liaise with other groups so everything is dealt with efficiently and with the least possible hassle. The kind of groups you may want to contact include:
- The police
- Women’s refuge
- Counselling centres
- Victim support
Please do not hesitate to contact our family law solicitors for help with domestic violence. We can arrange a confidential discussion about your case whenever you feel comfortable.
At AWH Solicitors we can offer fixed fee packages, as we know our clients prefer to know what they will pay from the outset.
Our platinum uncontested divorce package for the petitioner is only £450 plus vat plus the court fee.
Our contested divorce package
If you can't agree on a settlement with your former spouse our contested divorce package will likely be suitable for you.
- Initial consultation for 30 minutes about the divorce only and completing the divorce petition with you
- Reasonable correspondence with you, the court and the other side in respect of the divorce proceedings
- Drafting the divorce documents, namely; divorce petition, application for decree nisi, statement in support for decree nisi and application for decree absolute
- Keeping you informed throughout in respect of the divorce process
Our platinum uncontested divorce package
Similarly to our contested divorce package, we offer a platinum fixed fee package for the respondent in uncontested divorce proceedings for only £275 plus vat.
- Initial consultation with you for 30 minutes
- Preparing the 'Acknowledgement of Service Form'
- Checking court papers
- Advising you of the Decree Nisi and Decree Absolute once received from the court
What is not included in these fees
If during the divorce process any of these factors arise you will no longer qualify for the fixed fee divorce package. If this occurs we will immediately discuss matters with you to agree a new fixed fee structure with you.
In cases where the divorce is defended, we are prepared to offer fixed packages but will need to discuss and review your case with you to tailor a package that will suit you.
- Obtaining a duplicate copy of the marriage certificate
- Having the marriage certificate translated
- Fees charged by a bailiff/process server in serving the divorce documents on the respondent
- The costs of amending the divorce papers once they have been lodged at court
- If acting for the respondent the costs of applying to the court for the decree absolute
- Dealing with any issues in relation to the relationship in connection with the children, finances, property or domestic violence
- The costs of tracing a party
- Attending court in respect of the divorce proceedings
- Enforcing any costs order
Our Promise to You
Friendly, personal legal services
We promise that our approachable solicitors will provide you with a genuinely personal service that puts your needs first. Our team of experts are always on hand to give you support when you need it.
Award-winning service in our fields of expertise
We pride ourselves in offering the highest standards of service across each of our legal departments. Regardless of your situation, we promise to provide you with the very best legal advice.
Advice tailored to your needs
We promise to listen to your needs and offer the right guidance for your situation.
There is no ‘one-size-fits-all’ solution in any area of the law. Every case requires a tailored approach and you deserve a solicitor who understands this.
Outstanding customer service and care
Our excellent reputation is built on our exceptional level of client care.
Every case is handled with the highest level of respect and many of our clients go on to recommend us after building an invaluable relationship with our solicitors.
Transparent fees and processes
Transparency is very important to us. We promise to provide you with total Transparencyrency on fees, so you know exactly what you are paying for. We’ll also make sure you’re kept updated on the progress of your case every step of the way.
What our clients are saying about us
excellent service kept fully informed through every step of the claim . would recommend these people 1st class
I first contacted AWH in december and booked my consulation with Shayeda. I didn’t wait long for an appointment and was given very professional advice and the appointment was thorough. Shayeda brought me the print outs and showed me everything I needed for my application. Both Shayeda and Cathryn were very helpful throughout my application. I received a very professional service from AWH and they have alot of knowledge & would recommend them for your immigration matters.
My wife and I were both very pleased with the service we received.Very professional and knowledgeable staff. A superb result all round. Many thanks to all the staff who helped us, especially Shayheda and Cathryn
Starting the process couldn’t be more simple!
- Contact us Get in touch however suits you best and arrange a consulation with one of our solicitors
- Meet an expert You’ll meet the expert solicitor assigned to your case and discuss all the necessary details
- Authorise Once we’ve got all the details of your case and you’re happy to proceed, just give us the go-ahead
- We get to work It’s time for us to get to work! We’ll set up your file on our system and get to work right away
Get in touch
Let us know how AWH Solicitors can help you by providing us with your details in the form below.
Please let us know when you want to be contacted so we can get in touch with you at a time that suits you best.