Broken Windows and Doors
 Allaya Hussain
Legally reviewed by: Allaya Hussain

Broken Windows and Doors in Social Housing

Having broken windows and doors in your house is not only an inconvenience and a safety hazard, but it can also lead to other problems developing such as damp and mould.

If you live in social housing and your landlord has failed to provide you with the needed repairs, we can help you. We can claim for repairs to your doors and windows to be carried out, as well as compensation.

To find out if we can help you, get in touch. All our housing disrepair cases are always handled on a no-win, no fee basis.

Your Rights as a Social Housing Tenant

Landlord Responsibilities

It is your landlord’s responsibility to carry out repairs. By law, all external windows and doors must be damp and draught-proof to protect you from wind and rain. This is not only to save you from high heating bills but also to prevent you from getting ill and potential structural issues from developing in your property.

Your landlord is responsible for making sure that the following are safe and secure:

  • Window frames and sashes
  • Internal and external doors, door saddles and door frames
  • Hinges, locks, handles, trapper bars and letterboxes on external doors

If your landlord fails to ensure that your doors and windows are in a good state of repair it could lead to further problems arising. A broken window or door could end up causing one or all of the following disrepair issues:

You could also develop illness in colder months because any heat will escape through cracks or breaks in windows, doors and their frames.

If any of the above has happened in your home as a result of your landlord neglecting their duty to keep doors and windows in good repair, we may be able to help you make a claim. With our help, you can claim to get the works of repair that are needed to be done and you may also be awarded compensation for your suffering.

Tenant Responsibilities

For the most part, your landlord is responsible for maintaining and repairing broken windows and doors. However, there are some situations where you may become responsible to pay for the costs of the repair works needed and then the landlord will probably seek to recharge the repair costs to you. For example, if you have obviously caused the damage by smashing a window,- it would likely be your responsibility to arrange and pay for it to be fixed. If the window is smashed as the result of criminal damage, you should report that damage to the police, obtain a crime reference number and pass the same to the landlord.

You may also be responsible for maintaining and repairing the following:

  • Hinges, locks and handles on internal doors
  • Kitchen and bedroom unit doors
  • Door handles, hinges and catches on drawers

If any of the above fall into disrepair because of other issues such as damp, mould or pests and vermin that your landlord is neglecting to fix, then it is likely it would be down to them to pay. One of our experts will visit your home and establish who is responsible for the repairs that need doing.

If they find that it is your landlord’s duty and that the damage is significant, we will be able to help you claim for the repairs to be carried out.

Get started with your housing disrepair claim

We Can Help You

You deserve to live in a property that is kept in a good state of repair. By law, your landlord needs to make sure that they maintain your property so that it remains safe and secure at all times.

Sometimes problems such as broken doors or windows occur, either as a result of disrepair or a one-off accident. Your landlord is not in breach of their duties as long as damages are repaired to a decent standard and within a reasonable amount of time.

It is when they leave you living in unsafe conditions that you should start thinking about making a claim. For example, if a broken window or door has led to damp and mould developing to the extent you can no longer use a room, this is unacceptable and our housing solicitors can help you.

All of our housing disrepair services are provided on a no-win, no-fee basis. This means that you can begin a claim without worrying about taking a financial risk.

Find out if we can help you claim for repairs and compensation today.

Get a free assessment