Problems with central heating in social housing

Having broken central heating can be a real inconvenience, but it could also be dangerous for your health. A home without working heating can get very cold, leading to other disrepair issues arising such as damp and mould which can make you ill.

Your landlord has a responsibility to maintain your central heating and repair it if it breaks. We could help you claim for repairs and compensation for your suffering. You have the right to central heating so when repair works need to be carried out your social housing or council has a duty to get your central heating fixed as soon as possible.

Get in touch

Expert advice and guidance

Our housing disrepair team can offer you specialist advice if your local authority or housing association has failed to address the central heating problems in your home.

Here at AWH our team has years of experience helping people claim when their landlord is neglecting their duties to provide working heating. When you claim with us, we will send one of our experts to assess your situation first of all. If we’re able to proceed with your claim, we’ll be there from the get-go, offering you expert advice and support throughout the process.

We believe that no one should ever be forced to live in cold and dangerous conditions. A lack of central heating can be particularly harmful for families with children and the elderly. We believe that neglectful landlords should be held responsible for their actions so that you and your family can live in the safety and comfort you need and deserve.

Has your social landlord left you living with broken central heating or other problems caused by a lack of heat? We may be able to help you make a claim and get the repair work you need done.

Get in touch

What the law says

Under the Landlord and Tenant Act 1985, your landlord is responsible for the keeping in working order of:

  • Installations for the supply of water, gas and electricity
  • Installations for space heating and heating water

This means that any gas fires, water boilers, central heating systems, radiators, electrical heaters and gas supply installed in your home must be maintained and repaired if necessary.

By law your landlord has to make sure that your home has heating at all times. This rule applies unless you have broken the central heating through ill treatment – accidentally or on purpose – in which case you are likely responsible for repairs.

A lack of heating is actually considered to be a health hazard to humans. Living in extremely cold conditions can cause illness and other problems too, such as damp and mould. Damp and mould could affect one or many rooms in your home, and may cause damage to your personal possessions. It can also lead to respiratory problems such as asthma developing. We can help you claim compensation if your landlord has left you living in a property with significant central heating problems and it has damaged you or your family’s health and possessions.

Get in touch

Landlord responsibilities

If the heating is not working in your home, your social landlord is more than likely responsible for fixing the problem. Of course, central heating can stop working without it being anyone’s fault, however your landlord shouldn’t leave you without it for more than a few days without doing any work towards remedying the issue.

All landlords must ensure that sleeping and living rooms reach a minimum of 18 and 21 degrees respectively. These are the minimum legal temperatures, so any temperature below this is considered unsafe. Your landlord should fix any central heating problems urgently. They should aim to resolve the issue in one day if you have young children living with you.

You landlord should also be mindful of the temperature outside. They should not leave you without heat for more than 24 hours if your central heating breaks down in the middle of winter. It is a dangerous hazard to your health if you are without central heating for more than two days during the cold months.

Your landlord is responsible for providing you with temporary heating equipment if they cannot repair your central heating in a reasonable amount of time. They should provide you with short-term accommodation if they are unable to give you temporary heating.

We may be able to help you claim compensation if your social landlord has failed to provide you with working central heating and you are suffering as a result.

Please note that we cannot not take on private renting disrepair cases at present.

Get in touch

Tenant responsibilities

As a tenant you also have a responsibility to maintain your central heating. You must use it properly and not cause any damage to it. If you do damage your central heating and it results in a problem occurring, you may need to pay for it to be fixed or replaced.

You are also responsible for reporting any central heating problems to your landlord as soon as you are able to. You should watch out for the following as signs of a problem:

  • Leaking radiators or radiators which don’t work
  • Water which doesn’t heat properly or at all
  • Intermittent heat and hot water

It is best to report these signs in writing to your landlord if they persist over the course of one day, so that they are aware of the issue and will hopefully resolve it quickly.

The above problems can also cause further issues to develop, like damp and mould. Damp and mould should be resolved as soon as possible as they can both be very dangerous for your health.

Get in touch

How we can help you

We know that it is uncomfortable and unhealthy to live in a property with no central heating. It can harm your health, belongings, and make you feel miserable. That’s why we want to help you.

Our team can help you if you have been left to suffer in the cold and it has significantly affected you and/or your possessions. We will fight to get the necessary repair work done and do our very best get you the compensation you deserve.

Get in touch

Our Promise to You

  • Friendly, personal legal services Friendly, personal legal services

    We promise that our approachable solicitors will provide you with a genuinely personal service that puts your needs first. Our team of experts are always on hand to give you support when you need it.

  • Award-winning service in our fields of expertise Award-winning service in our fields of expertise

    We pride ourselves in offering the highest standards of service across each of our legal departments. Regardless of your situation, we promise to provide you with the very best legal advice.

  • Advice tailored to your needs Advice tailored to your needs

    We promise to listen to your needs and offer the right guidance for your situation.

    There is no ‘one-size-fits-all’ solution in any area of the law. Every case requires a tailored approach and you deserve a solicitor who understands this.

  • Outstanding customer service and care Outstanding customer service and care

    Our excellent reputation is built on our exceptional level of client care.

    Every case is handled with the highest level of respect and many of our clients go on to recommend us after building an invaluable relationship with our solicitors.

  • Transparent fees and processes Transparent fees and processes

    Transparency is very important to us. We promise to provide you with total Transparencyrency on fees, so you know exactly what you are paying for. We’ll also make sure you’re kept updated on the progress of your case every step of the way.

  • Approachable and friendly solicitors

What our clients are saying about us

We received an average 9.1 out 10 based on 249 reviews.

excellent service kept fully informed through every step of the claim . would recommend these people 1st class


I first contacted AWH in december and booked my consulation with Shayeda. I didn’t wait long for an appointment and was given very professional advice and the appointment was thorough. Shayeda brought me the print outs and showed me everything I needed for my application. Both Shayeda and Cathryn were very helpful throughout my application. I received a very professional service from AWH and they have alot of knowledge & would recommend them for your immigration matters.


My wife and I were both very pleased with the service we received.Very professional and knowledgeable staff. A superb result all round. Many thanks to all the staff who helped us, especially Shayheda and Cathryn


Starting the process couldn’t be more simple!

  • Contact us Contact us Get in touch however suits you best and arrange a consulation with one of our solicitors
  • Meet an expert Meet an expert You’ll meet the expert solicitor assigned to your case and discuss all the necessary details
  • Authorise Authorise Once we’ve got all the details of your case and you’re happy to proceed, just give us the go-ahead
  • We get to work We get to work It’s time for us to get to work! We’ll set up your file on our system and get to work right away
We’re with you, every step of the way