Social Housing Disrepair
 Allaya Hussain
Legally reviewed by: Allaya Hussain

Housing Disrepair Claims: Claiming Compensation for Disrepair in Social Housing

As a social housing tenant, you are entitled to a good standard of living, no matter what. If your housing association is neglecting to give you that, then our disrepair in social housing solicitors can help you take action and get you the repairs you need as well as get you compensated for losses and suffering you have had to endure.

Housing Disrepair Compensation

If you are living in a house or flat with serious disrepair issues that your landlord has failed to repair then our disrepair in social housing solicitors may be able to assist you. Find out if we can help you claim for repairs to be carried out. We may also be able to help you claim compensation for injury, illness and financial damages you have suffered as a result of the disrepair.

Get in touch to claim your social housing disrepair compensation with AWH. Our housing disrepair claims specialists are here for you.

Informing Your Landlord About Housing Disrepair

For us to be able to help you make a housing disrepair claim for repairs and/or compensation you must have informed your landlord about the disrepair issues you have been facing. The landlord must have been given plenty of time to make the needed repairs too. A housing disrepair claim can only be taken on if your landlord has failed to provide you with the repairs that are needed.

Your home should be somewhere you can relax and feel comfortable. It should provide security for you and your family, and you should be able to rely on your landlord to maintain your home and make repairs. If your landlord is refusing to make repairs to your home, it can be an incredibly frustrating and disruptive time for your family.

Vulnerable Residents

Housing disrepair can also have serious consequences for your health and wellbeing, especially if you live with children, elderly residents, or vulnerable adults. If this is happening to you, you might feel powerless, but you don’t have to.

What to do When Your Rented Home is in a State of Disrepair

If your landlord has repeatedly ignored your concerns, we may be able to help you make a housing disrepair claim against the social housing association. It is really important that you know your rights as a social tenant. Disrepair in social housing is common, and you are entitled to make a housing disrepair claim if it isn’t dealt with promptly and adequately.

What Compensation Covers

A housing disrepair compensation claim will cover the costs of any repairs which need doing in the property, as well as getting you compensated for your landlord’s misconduct and how it has affected you.

Housing Disrepair Claims for Tenants

We understand that it’s not always easy to know how to proceed with a housing disrepair claim. Here we’ve outlined everything you need to know about your housing association’s repair obligations and your right to claim compensation.

Housing Disrepair and Landlord Responsibilities

When you and your landlord sign your social housing contract, you are both legally agreeing to keep the property in the required conditions for healthy living.

You are protected by law if the landlord doesn’t uphold their responsibilities. If your property no longer meets the required standard it is said to have fallen into ‘disrepair’. Your house is in a state of disrepair if you don’t have:

  • A structurally sound building to live in which is safe and well maintained
  • Well-functioning drains, sinks and baths, and toilets
  • Unobstructed gutters
  • Access to water, electricity, and gas – including an adequate heating system
  • A damp-free and mould-free house
  • A property free from pests

Damp and Mould

In most social housing disrepair claims damp and mould in a rented property is the most common issue. These are just some of the issues that can be considered as signs of disrepair. Here at AWH, each case is pursued with the same dedication and respect by our specialist legal team.

We understand that living in a property which has not been looked after properly by your social housing association can have a negative impact on your life. It may make you physically or mentally ill, and it could be having the same effect on your family too.

That’s why we want to help bring the people responsible for your suffering to justice, and help you get compensated so that you can look forward to a brighter future. We can help you by claiming for housing disrepair compensation.

Claiming Housing Disrepair Compensation

If you receive compensation from a disrepair in social housing claim against your social landlord, the exact amount will be calculated by looking at a number of factors. These include:

  • The type and amount of damage to the property
  • Cost of repairs
  • Cost of secondary accommodation, if you have had to move out
  • Inconvenience caused
  • Additional costs resulting from disrepair

Effects on Health and Wellbeing

In some of the most severe cases housing disrepair can have a harmful effect on your health and well-being. If this happens, the housing disrepair compensation sum will also include:

  • Emotional trauma
  • Healthcare costs
  • Loss of income if you have been unable to work due to illness or taking care of a loved one because of the state of disrepair

You should never be in a position where you are needlessly suffering in your home. If your social housing landlord has neglected their duties, we want to make sure you get the housing disrepair in social housing compensation you deserve.

Specialist Advice and Guidance for Social Housing Tenants

We believe that all social housing tenants deserve to feel safe and secure in their home. When your safety is endangered because of disrepair, and repairs haven’t been made, you have a right to claim social housing disrepair compensation.

Our team of dedicated social housing solicitors have a lot of experience in fighting for the rights of social housing tenants. We know that making a housing disrepair claim against your landlord can be unsettling and nerve-wracking, so we promise to be there every step of the way. We’ll give you all the advice you need, in straightforward, jargon-free way.

Get in touch to get started with your housing disrepair compensation claim today, and find out more about what we can do for you.

Housing Disrepair Claims Advice

When you make a disrepair in social housing claim, we promise to give you the respect that your landlord hasn’t.

Our priority is your health and wellbeing, so we’ll fight to get you the result you need to get your life back on track.

Expert Advice and Guidance

You deserve to live in a safe and comfortable home. Get in touch to learn how we can help you make a social housing disrepair claim.

Get in touch

Frequently Asked Questions

Can I claim compensation for disrepair in social housing?

Yes, if you are living in a property with serious disrepair issues that your landlord has failed to repair then you can claim for repairs to be made and compensation for your suffering.

Our housing disrepair specialists can help you make a claim on a no win, no fee basis so you don't have to worry about any financial risk.

Can I claim for repairs to be made to my home?

Yes. If your landlord has failed to make the necessary repairs then you can get in touch with our housing disrepair solicitors to claim for the repairs to be carried out.

Can I claim for compensation if the disrepair caused health issues?

Yes. In many cases disrepair causes issues with damp and mould, which can cause asthma and other respiratory conditions to develop or worsen. If this happened to you or a member of your family then you can claim compensation for your illness, in addition to claiming for repairs and compensation for the disrepair.

At AWH we have housing disrepair and respiratory disease specialists working together to help you. To find out if you have a claim give us a call on 0800 999 2220 or request a call back.

Can I claim compensation for damp and mould in my social housing property?

Yes, if the damp and mould is an issue caused by disrepair to the home and not your own actions, and your landlord has failed to address the issues then you will likely have a claim for damp and mould.

Our housing disrepair team has handled many damp and mould claims for social housing tenants across England. It is one of the most common issues we face.

Don't live with damp and mould, issues won't improve by themselves and they can cause serious health problems for you and your family in the long run. If your landlord fails to make repairs to stop the damp and mould in your home then get in touch.