Employing foreign workers in UK businesses
We offer a range of specialist business immigration services, including extensive training programs and audit and compliance solutions, so you can be sure that your business is fully compliant with UK law when you are ready to start employing foreign workers.
How your business can benefit
Foreign workers play a vital role in our economy because their diversity can help boost the knowledge, creativity, innovation and productivity of businesses across the UK.
Many UK firms want workers from overseas because the knowledge, skills, and diversity they can bring to a team is often considered invaluable across most industries.
Your business can benefit from employing foreign workers as they will help you:
- Provide skills that are not available in the UK, such as technical or language skills
- Fill unskilled or low-skilled vacancies due to labour shortages
- Bring ideas and approaches from an overseas division into the UK branch
- Fill vacancies that the government agrees are in designated ‘shortage occupations’
But there are drawbacks. Before you consider employing a foreign national you should also think of the risks:
- Workers must meet a required standard of English language skills in order to be granted their visa
- Cultural differences between your existing staff and your foreign workers could cause friction, which your management team must be able to manage
- You can face fines for not complying with UK law on employing foreign workers
Why you need a sponsorship licence
An overseas applicant looking to move to the UK for work will most likely need one of the below visa’s.
- Tier 1 – Highly skilled individuals
- Tier 2 – Skilled workers with a job offer
- Tier 5 – Youth mobility and temporary workers: those with primarily non-economic objectives
To be eligible for a Tier 2 or 5 visa the applicant must hold a job offer from a company that is able to sponsor their visa application. As a business, you can only sponsor that worker if your business has been granted what is called a sponsorship licence by the Home Office.
You must have a sponsorship licence in place prior to the foreign worker applying for their visa, as otherwise their visa application will be denied, meaning they won’t be able to come and work for you.
Applying for your sponsorship licence is complex, but there is no need to worry. We can help you assess if you are able to apply, what your chances are and explain to you the process and what will be required from you. We will then stand by you throughout the application process.
Starting the process of applying for your sponsorship licence
The first step to obtaining your sponsorship licence is knowing if you are eligible. Our business immigration solicitors can help you assess your eligibility in more detail, so you know exactly what you can expect when you decide to proceed with your application.
As a minimum, to be eligible, a business must not have any unspent criminal convictions. Common criminal offences that would significantly weaken your chances of getting your sponsorship licence would include previous immigration breaches or convictions for money laundering. Convictions will likely impact your application, no matter how long ago they happened.
If you’ve sponsored foreign employees in the past and were found to have failed in carrying out your sponsorship duties, you probably won’t be eligible to reapply.
Which licence you need
If you meet the eligibility criteria you can apply for a sponsorship licence. The process can be difficult and lengthy, but with our solicitors by your side you won’t need to worry. We will be beside you from the very start, supporting you throughout your application.
There are two types of licences you can apply for. It depends on your specific needs which sponsorship licence is applicable to you:
- Tier 2 – skilled workers (for employing long-term workers)
- Tier 5 – skilled temporary workers (for employing short-term workers)
Our solicitors can help you assess which licence you require and what requirements you must meet before you can apply.
Straightforward assistance with employing foreign workers
We can help make the process of employing individual workers or groups of workers easy and pain-free for your organisation.
Our team is made up of expert immigration solicitors, HR experts and employment law solicitors who can see you through every aspect of your business immigration process.
Whether you are taking on one foreign worker or a whole group, our experts have the knowledge you need.
Starting the process couldn’t be more simple!
- Contact us Get in touch however suits you best and arrange a consulation with one of our solicitors
- Meet an expert You’ll meet the expert solicitor assigned to your case and discuss all the necessary details
- Authorise Once we’ve got all the details of your case and you’re happy to proceed, just give us the go-ahead
- We get to work It’s time for us to get to work! We’ll set up your file on our system and get to work right away
What our clients are saying about us
Our Promise to You
Friendly, personal legal services
We promise that our approachable solicitors will provide you with a genuinely personal service that puts your needs first. Our team of experts are always on hand to give you support when you need it.
Award-winning service in our fields of expertise
We pride ourselves in offering the highest standards of service across each of our legal departments. Regardless of your situation, we promise to provide you with the very best legal advice.
Advice tailored to your needs
We promise to listen to your needs and offer the right guidance for your situation.
There is no ‘one-size-fits-all’ solution in any area of the law. Every case requires a tailored approach and you deserve a solicitor who understands this.
Outstanding customer service and care
Our excellent reputation is built on our exceptional level of client care.
Every case is handled with the highest level of respect and many of our clients go on to recommend us after building an invaluable relationship with our solicitors.
Transparent fees and processes
Transparency is very important to us. We promise to provide you with total Transparencyrency on fees, so you know exactly what you are paying for. We’ll also make sure you’re kept updated on the progress of your case every step of the way.
Get in touch
Let us know how AWH Solicitors can help you by providing us with your details in the form below.
Please let us know when you want to be contacted so we can get in touch with you at a time that suits you best.