Tier 2 intra-company transfers
As well as helping you apply for your visa, our solicitors can help your employers apply for their sponsorship licence too. Your employer needs to have a sponsorship licence in place before you can apply for your intra-company transfer visa.Get in touch
Are you eligible for an intra-company transfer visa?
In order for you to establish that you are eligible, your employer must be able to demonstrate that the salary for the role is appropriate and that the position can’t be filled by a UK resident.
You can apply for a Tier 2 intra-company transfers visa as long as you:
- Are employed by a licensed sponsor
- Are from outside the European Economic Area (EEA) and Switzerland
- Meet the other eligibility requirements
Types of intra-company transfer visas
There are three types of the intra-company transfer visa.
Any workers transferring for more than 12 months, for a role that can’t be filled by a new UK recruit, can apply this visa. You need to have worked for your company for more than 12 months to be eligible for this visa.
This category was closed on the 5th of April 2017.
This visa is for transfers into graduate trainee programs for specialist roles. You need to be a recent graduate with at least three months’ experience with your employer. You can apply up to three months before the day you are due to start work in the UK.
To be considered for a Tier 2 intra-company transfer visa you need to:
- Have a valid certificate of sponsorship for your job
- Be paid an ‘appropriate salary’ for your job
- Have personal savings that will allow you to support yourself when you arrive
- Show you can travel – and your travel history over the last five years
- Have tuberculosis test results (if required)
- Be able to show you have worked for your employer outside the UK
You usually need to be paid at least the minimum salary for your type of visa or the appropriate rate for the job you’re offered – whichever is higher.
The minimum salary thresholds are:
- £41,500 for long-term staff
- £23,000 for graduate trainees
After you apply you might be asked to prove that you have worked for your employer for a certain amount of time. Exactly what length of time depends on the visa you are applying for:
- Long-term staff earning £73,000 or less – 12 months
- Long-term staff earning more than £73,000 – no minimum
- Graduate trainee – 3 months
Documents you need to provide
When you apply you will need to provide:
- Your certificate of sponsorship reference number
- A bank or building society statement or letter that shows you have enough personal savings (unless your Certificate of Sponsorship shows your sponsor can support you)
- A current passport or travel document to prove you can travel and a blank page in your passport for your visa
- Expired passports or travel documents if you need to show proof of your travel history
- Original printed pay slips
- Copies of online pay slips supported by a letter from your sponsor signed by a senior staff member
- Bank or building society statements
- A building society pass book
How long you can stay and what you can do
There is a limit to how long you can stay on each type of Tier 2 intra-company transfer visa. These are:
- Long-term staff (if you earn more than £120,000 a year): 9 years
- Long-term staff (if you earn less than £120,000 a year): 5 years, 1 month
- Graduate trainee: 12 months
You can enter the UK up to 14 days before the start date shown on your visa.
While you are in the UK on a Tier 2 intra-company transfer visa, you can:
- Work for your sponsor
- Have a second job in the same profession and at the same level as your main job for up to 20 hours per week
- Do voluntary work
- Study, as long as it doesn’t interfere with the job you’re sponsored for
- Travel abroad and return to the UK
- Bring family members with you
While you are in the UK, you will not be able to:
- Get public funds
- Start working before you get a visa
Applying with dependants
As is the case with most other points-based visas, the Tier 2 intra-company transfer visa allows you to bring dependants with you to the UK. Those dependants can then stay as long as you do.
Help with your intra-company transfer visa application
Our expert immigration solicitors currently hold a 100 per cent success rate for points-based visa applications.
Would you like our guidance and support to ensure your visa application has the best chance at succeeding? Simply get in touch or request a call back to get started.
Please be aware, if you are planning on relocating to the UK for work, however not within the company you are currently employed by, you will need a Tier 2 – skilled workers visa.
Starting the process couldn’t be more simple!
- Contact us Get in touch however suits you best and arrange a consulation with one of our solicitors
- Meet an expert You’ll meet the expert solicitor assigned to your case and discuss all the necessary details
- Authorise Once we’ve got all the details of your case and you’re happy to proceed, just give us the go-ahead
- We get to work It’s time for us to get to work! We’ll set up your file on our system and get to work right away
What our clients are saying about us
Our Promise to You
Friendly, personal legal services
We promise that our approachable solicitors will provide you with a genuinely personal service that puts your needs first. Our team of experts are always on hand to give you support when you need it.
Award-winning service in our fields of expertise
We pride ourselves in offering the highest standards of service across each of our legal departments. Regardless of your situation, we promise to provide you with the very best legal advice.
Advice tailored to your needs
We promise to listen to your needs and offer the right guidance for your situation.
There is no ‘one-size-fits-all’ solution in any area of the law. Every case requires a tailored approach and you deserve a solicitor who understands this.
Outstanding customer service and care
Our excellent reputation is built on our exceptional level of client care.
Every case is handled with the highest level of respect and many of our clients go on to recommend us after building an invaluable relationship with our solicitors.
Transparent fees and processes
Transparency is very important to us. We promise to provide you with total transparency on fees, so you know exactly what you are paying for. We’ll also make sure you’re kept updated on the progress of your case every step of the way.