Tier 2 intra-company transfers

If you work for an international company and you are transferring from an overseas branch to a UK location, you’ll need a Tier 2 intra-company transfer visa. 

As well as helping you apply for your visa, our solicitors can help your employers apply for their sponsorship licence too. Your employer needs to have a sponsorship licence in place before you can apply for your intra-company transfer visa.

Get in touch

Are you eligible for an intra-company transfer visa?

In order for you to establish that you are eligible, your employer must be able to demonstrate that the salary for the role is appropriate and that the position can’t be filled by a UK resident.

You can apply for a Tier 2 intra-company transfers visa as long as you:

  • Are employed by a licensed sponsor
  • Are from outside the European Economic Area (EEA) and Switzerland
  • Meet the other eligibility requirements

Get in touch

Types of intra-company transfer visas

There are three types of the intra-company transfer visa.

  1. Long-term staff

Any workers transferring for more than 12 months, for a role that can’t be filled by a new UK recruit, can apply this visa. You need to have worked for your company for more than 12 months to be eligible for this visa.

  1. Short-term staff

This category was closed on the 5th of April 2017.

  1. Graduate trainees

This visa is for transfers into graduate trainee programs for specialist roles. You need to be a recent graduate with at least three months’ experience with your employer. You can apply up to three months before the day you are due to start work in the UK.

Get in touch

General requirements

To be considered for a Tier 2 intra-company transfer visa you need to:

  • Have a valid certificate of sponsorship for your job
  • Be paid an ‘appropriate salary’ for your job
  • Have personal savings that will allow you to support yourself when you arrive
  • Show you can travel – and your travel history over the last five years
  • Have tuberculosis test results (if required)
  • Be able to show you have worked for your employer outside the UK

Get in touch

Financial requirements

You usually need to be paid at least the minimum salary for your type of visa or the appropriate rate for the job you’re offered – whichever is higher.

The minimum salary thresholds are:

  • £41,500 for long-term staff
  • £23,000 for graduate trainees

After you apply you might be asked to prove that you have worked for your employer for a certain amount of time. Exactly what length of time depends on the visa you are applying for:

  • Long-term staff earning £73,000 or less – 12 months
  • Long-term staff earning more than £73,000 – no minimum
  • Graduate trainee – 3 months

Get in touch

Documents you need to provide

When you apply you will need to provide:

  • Your certificate of sponsorship reference number
  • A bank or building society statement or letter that shows you have enough personal savings (unless your Certificate of Sponsorship shows your sponsor can support you)
  • A current passport or travel document to prove you can travel and a blank page in your passport for your visa
  • Expired passports or travel documents if you need to show proof of your travel history
  • Original printed pay slips
  • Copies of online pay slips supported by a letter from your sponsor signed by a senior staff member
  • Bank or building society statements
  • A building society pass book 

Get in touch

How long you can stay and what you can do

There is a limit to how long you can stay on each type of Tier 2 intra-company transfer visa. These are:

  • Long-term staff (if you earn more than £120,000 a year): 9 years
  • Long-term staff (if you earn less than £120,000 a year): 5 years, 1 month
  • Graduate trainee: 12 months

You can enter the UK up to 14 days before the start date shown on your visa.

While you are in the UK on a Tier 2 intra-company transfer visa, you can:

  • Work for your sponsor
  • Have a second job in the same profession and at the same level as your main job for up to 20 hours per week
  • Do voluntary work
  • Study, as long as it doesn’t interfere with the job you’re sponsored for
  • Travel abroad and return to the UK
  • Bring family members with you

While you are in the UK, you will not be able to:

  • Get public funds
  • Start working before you get a visa

Get in touch

Applying with dependants

As is the case with most other points-based visas, the Tier 2 intra-company transfer visa allows you to bring dependants with you to the UK. Those dependants can then stay as long as you do.

Read more about applying for a dependant, or 

Get in touch

Help with your intra-company transfer visa application

Our expert immigration solicitors currently hold a 100 per cent success rate for points-based visa applications.

Would you like our guidance and support to ensure your visa application has the best chance at succeeding? Simply get in touch or request a call back to get started.

Please be aware, if you are planning on relocating to the UK for work, however not within the company you are currently employed by, you will need a Tier 2 – skilled workers visa.

Read more about the Tier 2 – skilled workers, or 

Get in touch

Our Fees

Due to the large amount of services and the complexity of each case we cannot provide any standardised fees without knowing a little bit more about your situation.

However, if you get in touch with us we can discuss in detail what charges you can expect and what fees we will charge.

Full transparency at all times

We aspire to be completely transparent on pricing from the beginning, so none of our clients will ever be surprised at the end of the process.

Furthermore, we believe advice and support from our team of solicitors should be affordable to those in need.

This is why we provide competitive prices across our range of services.

Immigration solicitor fees
30 minute initial consultation £60 + VAT
Additional 30 minutes where consultation runs over £60 + VAT
Initial consultation + advice letter £300 + VAT
Visa checking service(no drafting) £250 + VAT
Extension applications settlement From £1,000 + VAT

Entry clearance fees - out of country
Visit Visa £600 + VAT
Spouse Visa Sponsor Employed £700 + VAT
Spouse Visa Sponsor Self Employed £800 + VAT
Dependants (Parent/Relatives) From £800 + VAT

What is included:

  • Advice on procedures and law
  • Completion of the paper and on line application form
  • Advice on all documents required to submit with application
  • Consider the contents of all documents supplied to submit to the British Embassy and follow up
  • Advice on strengths and weaknesses of the case
  • Preparation of the covering letter
  • Attendances and follow up

In country applications (extensions)
Extension applications for:

  • Spouse visa
  • Tier 4 student
  • Application for discretionary leave/humanitarian protection
  • Applications for long residence
  • EEA Applications
  • Domestic violence applications
Services include:

  • Attendance and advice on procedure and legal procedure
  • Advice and completion of forms
  • Advice on documents required
  • Preparation of covering letter
  • Submission to Home Office
From £800 + VAT
Points based system - applications and extensions applications
  • Extension applications
  • Tier 2
  • Tier 4
All cases are individually assessed and if additional dependants are placed on application they will be charged seperately.

From £900 + VAT

Other Immigration applications
Application for transfer of visa into biometrics card £400 + VAT
Travel document application £400 + VAT
Entry clearance forms (completion only) £70 + VAT
Home Office Forms (completion only) £200 + VAT
Asylum From £2,000 + VAT
Asylum - fresh claim £1,200 -£1,500 + VAT

British Citizenship
Application for British citizenship/children registration £500 + VAT

Corporate fees
Employers licence for businesses (online) From £1,000 + VAT
Tier 1 entry clearance (Entrepreneur, Investor, Innovator, Start-Up) From £2,000 + VAT
Tier 1 extension application (Entrepreneur, Investor, Innovator, Start-Up) From £2,000 + VAT
Business audit services Price available upon request

Lodge appeal only £400 + VAT
Lodge appeal and representation £1,200 - £1,500 + VAT
Asylum appeal £1,500 - £2,000 + VAT
Bail application and representation at hearing From £1,000 + VAT
Application for permission to appeal to upper tribunal From £900 + VAT
Review of decision and counsels opinion £350 + VAT

Get in touch

Starting the process couldn’t be more simple!

  • Contact us Contact us Get in touch however suits you best and arrange a consulation with one of our solicitors
  • Meet an expert Meet an expert You’ll meet the expert solicitor assigned to your case and discuss all the necessary details
  • Authorise Authorise Once we’ve got all the details of your case and you’re happy to proceed, just give us the go-ahead
  • We get to work We get to work It’s time for us to get to work! We’ll set up your file on our system and get to work right away
We’re with you, every step of the way

What our clients are saying about us

We received an average 9.1 out 10 based on 249 reviews.

excellent service kept fully informed through every step of the claim . would recommend these people 1st class


I first contacted AWH in december and booked my consulation with Shayeda. I didn’t wait long for an appointment and was given very professional advice and the appointment was thorough. Shayeda brought me the print outs and showed me everything I needed for my application. Both Shayeda and Cathryn were very helpful throughout my application. I received a very professional service from AWH and they have alot of knowledge & would recommend them for your immigration matters.


My wife and I were both very pleased with the service we received.Very professional and knowledgeable staff. A superb result all round. Many thanks to all the staff who helped us, especially Shayheda and Cathryn


Our Promise to You

  • Friendly, personal legal services Friendly, personal legal services

    We promise that our approachable solicitors will provide you with a genuinely personal service that puts your needs first. Our team of experts are always on hand to give you support when you need it.

  • Award-winning service in our fields of expertise Award-winning service in our fields of expertise

    We pride ourselves in offering the highest standards of service across each of our legal departments. Regardless of your situation, we promise to provide you with the very best legal advice.

  • Advice tailored to your needs Advice tailored to your needs

    We promise to listen to your needs and offer the right guidance for your situation.

    There is no ‘one-size-fits-all’ solution in any area of the law. Every case requires a tailored approach and you deserve a solicitor who understands this.

  • Outstanding customer service and care Outstanding customer service and care

    Our excellent reputation is built on our exceptional level of client care.

    Every case is handled with the highest level of respect and many of our clients go on to recommend us after building an invaluable relationship with our solicitors.

  • Transparent fees and processes Transparent fees and processes

    Transparency is very important to us. We promise to provide you with total Transparencyrency on fees, so you know exactly what you are paying for. We’ll also make sure you’re kept updated on the progress of your case every step of the way.

  • Approachable and friendly solicitors