Joining your parent in the UK
Our team of friendly solicitors can guide you through every step of your UK child visa application, making sure that you understand the process and helping you to reach the best outcome for you.
Please note: A 30-minute consultation with one of our immigration experts can be held in our offices or over the phone or Skype. Please be aware that we do not offer free advice and will charge a non-refundable fee of £60 per consultation.
Applying for a UK child visa
Who can apply
If you are under 18 and want to join a parent in the UK for more than six months, you should apply for a child visa.
You must be a non-EEA or Swiss national, and at least one of your parents must be permanently settled in the UK when you apply for a child visa. This means they can be a British citizen, hold indefinite leave to remain in the UK, or have asylum or humanitarian protection in the UK.
If you aren’t sure whether a child visa is right for you, our team can help you decide.
When you apply for a UK child visa to join your parent, you will have to provide a certain amount of evidence to the Home Office before they can grant you entry clearance to the UK.
To be successful in your child visa application, you will have to prove that:
- Your relationship with your parent is genuine – you can prove this using evidence of contact such as texts, emails, phone logs and your birth certificate
- You have suitable accommodation arrangements for when you arrive in the UK, such as a tenancy agreement or mortgage statement with a letter from your parent/s or their landlord confirming that you can live there
- You intend to live with your parent in the UK after you arrive
- You have a good knowledge of English – you may have to take a certified English Language Test
Financial requirements for a UK child visa
There are financial requirements which your parent who is living in the UK has to meet at the time you’re applying for your UK child visa. They must have an income of at least £18,600 per year if you are their only child who will be dependant on them in the UK.
If you have any siblings who will also be dependant on the UK parent, they will have to earn extra per year per child.
How long you can stay
If your child visa application to join your parent is successful you will be able to live in the UK for up to two-and-a-half years.
After this you will can apply for another two-and-a-half years’ extension on your UK child visa before you can settle permanently in the UK, without having to apply for any more extensions.
We can help you
It might feel quite daunting to apply for a UK child visa. However, you don’t need to worry, because our immigration solicitors can help you through your whole application process.
We will support you the entire time, so that you can get the result you need and join your parent/s living in the UK.
If you’re ready to make your move and apply for your child visa, get in touch today to find out more about how we can help, or request a call back.
Starting the process couldn’t be more simple!
- Contact us Get in touch however suits you best and arrange a consulation with one of our solicitors
- Meet an expert You’ll meet the expert solicitor assigned to your case and discuss all the necessary details
- Authorise Once we’ve got all the details of your case and you’re happy to proceed, just give us the go-ahead
- We get to work It’s time for us to get to work! We’ll set up your file on our system and get to work right away
What our clients are saying about us
Very efficient firm. You have handled my case’s impeccably. My advisor, Charlotte, has been 100% professional and efficient.
You were the third solicitor firm who handled my claim. Things were going at a pedantic rate but your file handles Craig Johnson kept me informed and advised me whenever! The claim took over 3 years from start to finish but Craig worked on it in good time.
She saw to every little detail and made sure I was reassured every step of the way. She showed me empathy and always went the extra mile.
Our Promise to You
- Friendly, personal legal services
We promise that our approachable solicitors will provide you with a genuinely personal service that puts your needs first. Our team of experts are always on hand to give you support when you need it.
- Award-winning service in our fields of expertise
We pride ourselves in offering the highest standards of service across each of our legal departments. Regardless of your situation, we promise to provide you with the very best legal advice.
- Advice tailored to your needs
We promise to listen to your needs and offer the right guidance for your situation.
There is no ‘one-size-fits-all’ solution in any area of the law. Every case requires a tailored approach and you deserve a solicitor who understands this.
- Outstanding customer service and care
Our excellent reputation is built on our exceptional level of client care.
Every case is handled with the highest level of respect and many of our clients go on to recommend us after building an invaluable relationship with our solicitors.
- Transparent fees and processes
Transparency is very important to us. We promise to provide you with total Transparencyrency on fees, so you know exactly what you are paying for. We’ll also make sure you’re kept updated on the progress of your case every step of the way.
Get in touch
Let us know how AWH Solicitors can help you by providing us with your details in the form below.
Please let us know when you want to be contacted so we can get in touch with you at a time that suits you best.