UK Fiance Visa
LLB (Hons) & LPC Cathryn Davies
Legally reviewed by: LLB (Hons) & LPC Cathryn Davies Updated:

UK Fiancé Visa

If you are engaged to a British citizen or someone settled in the UK, you might be able to join them on a UK fiancé visa. We can help you through every stage of your fiancé visa UK application, and get you one step closer to living married life in the UK.

A fiancé visa offers you the ideal opportunity to come to the UK for your wedding and to start married life. The fiancé visa is valid for six months. Then, once you’re married, you can apply for a spousal visa which will allow you to live and work in the UK until you can apply for indefinite leave to remain.

We are here to support you throughout the fiancé visa application process and any subsequent applications which will allow you to settle in the UK indefinitely. Read more about the fiance visa or get in touch now.

Get Started

Beginning Your UK Fiancé Visa Application

The UK fiancé visa lasts for six months and is granted to people who plan to settle under a spouse visa after they are married.

If you want to get married in the UK but don’t intend to stay after the fiancé visa expires, you should apply for a marriage visitor visa instead.

For your partner to be able to sponsor you for your fiancé visa they must be able to prove that they are present and have settled status in the UK (indefinite leave to remain). Alternatively, if they are living overseas they need to be able to prove that they intend to return to the UK with you.

Applying For Your Fiancé Visa With Our Help

Our highly skilled and experienced UK immigration solicitors have a great deal of experience successfully applying for fiancé visas, helping couples who are married or in a civil partnership settle together in the UK. By choosing our help you’ll be giving yourself the best chance at a successful outcome.

Give us a quick call or send us a message through the contact form to learn how we can support you and your family.

General Requirements

To be granted a fiancé visa you need to meet certain requirements:

  • Both you and your partner must be over 18 years old
  • You need to have met and been known to each other before the application and intend to live together permanently after you get married
  • Any previous relationships must have ended at the time of application.
  • You need to prove that you both have sufficient funds to support yourselves and any dependents, without the help of any public funds
  • If you’re a non-EU national, your sponsor needs to earn at least £18,600. There is a higher threshold if you have children who also need to be sponsored. The requirement is £22,400 for one child and an additional £2,400 for each child thereafter
  • If the sponsor has worked for less than six months with their current employer, they need to have held savings of at least £62,500 for a continuous period of 6 months before submitting the application
  • Sponsors can combine earnings and savings to make up these financial requirements
  • You both need to have suitable accommodation available

The fiancé visa is only valid for six months. You need to get married within that period, or else you will need to leave the UK.

Financial Requirements

When you apply for a fiancé visa you are known on the application as the ‘dependant’ and your partner is known as your ‘sponsor’.

There are a number of ways that ‘sponsors’ settled in the UK can meet the financial requirements. This can be done either through employment, self-employment, cash savings, being the director of a company or a rental income.

Each category has a specific set of documents which need to be submitted with the application. Your income and savings will be checked along with their sources as not all forms of income source are allowed.

You’ll need to be able to prove how long you’ve been receiving forms of income for and how funds are combined, if they come from different sources.

Exceptions to Financial Requirements for a Fiancé Visa UK Application

Your UK fiancé visa application will be exempt from these financial requirements if your sponsor receives any of the following allowances or concessions:

  • Carer’s allowance
  • Attendance allowance
  • Disability living allowance
  • Severe disablement allowance
  • Industrial injuries disablement benefit
  • Personal independence payment

English Language Requirements

Most visas require you to prove that you can get by in English during your stay in the UK.

To be able to receive a fiancé visa you’ll need to be able prove this, and there are a number of ways you can.

  • Passing the International English Language Testing System (IELTS) test to level A1. Fiancé visa applicants usually only need to pass the speaking and listening sections
  • Having a degree taught in English
  • If you’re from an English-speaking country, you may meet the English language requirement on the basis of your nationality alone

Common Grounds for Refusal

Most UK fiancé visa applications are refused because applicants can’t prove they meet the financial or accommodation requirements.

If the sponsor cannot prove to the Home Office that they can support you financially without access to public funds, the application will be refused.

It’s also important that you’re both free to marry before you apply. If one or both of you are still legally married to other people, you won’t be allowed to apply for a fiancé visa or a marriage visitor visa, as you won’t be able to get married.

Dependant Children

If you have any children from previous relationships, the children can apply to come with you, as long as you have sole custody of the child.

Get Expert Help with Your Fiancé Visa Application

Applying for a fiancé visa can be complex and stressful. Our expert immigration solicitors have helped many couples secure their fiancé visa, so they can plan and enjoy their wedding and lives in the UK.

To find out exactly how we can help you, call us today or request a call back.

Get in touch

A 30-minute consultation with one of our immigration solicitors can be held in our offices or over the phone or Skype. We do not offer free advice and will charge a non-refundable £95 fee per consultation.

Frequently Asked Questions

What is a UK fiancé visa?

A UK fiancé visa allows people who are British or settled in the UK to bring their partner to the UK. It is valid for 6 months and you will need to marry your fiancé during this time.

The biggest benefit of a fiancé visa, as opposed to a marriage visit visa, is that it is on the settlement route. This means you can apply for further leave to remain as a spouse from inside the UK.

How do I apply for a fiance visa?

To apply for a UK fiancé visa, you will need to commence your application using the application for entry clearance as a partner (fiancé route) under the online form.

You will need to ensure you can meet the requirements for a fiancé visa and provide the necessary documents.

How long does a UK fiancé visa application take?

The processing times for a UK fiancé visa application take approximately 12 weeks. If you were to purchase the priority service, they then aim to process the application within 6 weeks; however there is no guarantee you would receive a decision within this time period. The very latest in which UKVI should provide a decision is 24 weeks.

Should I get a marriage visa instead of a fiancé visa?

Whether you should apply for a marriage visa or a fiancé visa depends on your personal circumstances. A marriage visit visa is valid for 6 months and allows you to marry in the UK.

This is not a settlement type visa; therefore your partner would need to leave the UK to apply for entry clearance to join you in the UK on a spouse visa. If your partner wants to stay in the UK and apply for further leave to remain after your marriage, a fiancé visa would be better for you.