Marriage visitor visa
Important to note
When you’re visiting the UK on a standard visitor visa you can’t get married or enter into a civil partnership, you must apply for a marriage visitor visa to be able to do so. In addition, you may not apply for any other visa’s while you are in the UK on any type of visitor visa, including the marriage visitor visa.
If you’re planning on getting married in the UK before applying for another visa you should apply for a fiancé visa instead of the marriage visitor visa. If you are in the UK on the marriage visitor visa you must leave the country after six months, and you are not allowed to apply for another visa while you are here.
Marriage visitor visas vs fiancé visas
Both the marriage visitor visa and the fiancé visa are valid for six months and allow you to get married in the UK, but there is a significant difference. Unlike a marriage visitor visa, a fiancé visa allows you to apply for a spouse visa once you’re married.
Fiancé visas are designed for anyone getting married in the UK with a view to settle down for the long-term. After your fiancé visa expires you would generally apply for a spouse visa, and once you have been in the UK for five years you may then apply for permanent residence.
Marriage visas on the other hand, only give you entrance to the UK for six months. After this, you must leave the country. You can’t apply for an extension or a spouse visa from within the UK.
If you’re not sure which visa is best for your situation, our expert solicitors are here to help. We can advise you on the right visa and support your visa application from beginning to end. This means that you can proceed safe in the knowledge that everything has been done right.
How to apply for a marriage visitor visa
You will be eligible to apply for a marriage visitor visa as long as you meet the following requirements. You need to be:
- Aged 18 or over
- Free to give notice of marriage, to marry or enter into a civil partnership in the UK within six months of your arrival
- In a genuine relationship
- Visiting the UK for less than six months
- Leaving the UK at the end of your visit
- Able to support yourself without working or help from public funds, (or supported and housed by relatives or friends)
- Able to fund your return or onward journey
- Not in transit to a country outside the UK, Ireland, Isle of Man or the Channel Islands
Proof of your relationship
If you want to visit the UK in order to give notice of marriage or civil partnership, or marry or form a civil partnership here, you need to prove your relationship is genuine. The Home Office must be satisfied that you:
- Fully intend to give notice of marriage or civil partnership or intend to marry or form a civil partnership
- Do not intend to give notice of or enter into a sham marriage or sham civil partnership
We can advise you on the kind of evidence you may need, and what to expect in any interviews.
Documents you need to provide
You will also need to provide the following documents to support your application:
- A current passport or other valid travel identification
- Proof that you can support yourself during your trip, for example with bank statements or payslips for the last six months
- Proof of future plans for your relationship, for example documents that show your intended living arrangements
- Details of where you might stay, as well as any travel plans
There are other documents that could further support your application, if you have them:
- Details of your marriage or civil partnership and proof of payments for this
- Proof of your wedding plans in the UK – these could be booking confirmations or emails from the venue
If you have been married before
If you have been married before you will need to prove that you are now free to marry or enter into a civil partnership again.
You can do this with either:
- A decree absolute
- The death certificate of your previous partner
If any of the documents you provide aren’t in English or Welsh, you will also need to provide a certified translation.
Marriage visitor visa restrictions
During your stay in the UK on the marriage visitor visa, you cannot:
- Access public funds
- Bring in any dependants
- Live in the UK for extended periods through frequent visits
- Extend your visa or switch to another visa
- Work – except for permitted activities related to your work or business overseas such as attending meetings
- Study for more than 30 days – studying cannot be the main reason for your visit
Extending your stay and settling down
If you have come to the UK on a marriage visitor visa you can’t apply for an extension or other visa whilst you’re still here.
To apply for another visa you first need to return to your home country, then apply for the most appropriate visa from there.
Exactly which long-term or permanent visa is most suitable to you depends on your situation and background. Our expert solicitors can help advise you at every step of the way. Simply get in touch to speak to a member of our team, or request a call back at a time that suits you.
Due to the large amount of services and the complexity of each case we cannot provide any standardised fees without knowing a little bit more about your situation.
However, if you get in touch with us we can discuss in detail what charges you can suspect and what fees we will charge.
Full transparency at all times
We aspire to be completely transparent on pricing from the beginning, so none of our clients will ever be surprised at the end of the process.
Furthermore, we believe advice and support from our team of solicitors should be affordable to those in need.
This is why we provide competitive prices across our range of services.
|Immigration solicitor fees|
|30 minute initial consultation||£60 + VAT|
|Additional 30 minutes where consultation runs over||£60 + VAT|
|Initial consultation + advice letter||£300 + VAT|
|Visa checking service(no drafting)||£250 + VAT|
|Extension applications settlement||From £1,000 + VAT|
|Entry clearance fees - out of country|
|Visit Visa||£600 + VAT|
|Spouse Visa||Sponsor Employed||£700 + VAT|
|Spouse Visa||Sponsor Self Employed||£800 + VAT|
|Dependants (Parent/Relatives)||From £800 + VAT|
What is included:
- Advice on procedures and law
- Completion of the paper and on line application form
- Advice on all documents required to submit with application
- Consider the contents of all documents supplied to submit to the British Embassy and follow up
- Advice on strengths and weaknesses of the case
- Preparation of the covering letter
- Attendances and follow up
|In country applications (extensions)|
|Extension applications for:
||From £800 + VAT|
|Points based system - applications and extensions applications|
||All cases are individually assessed and if additional dependants are placed on application they will be charged seperately.||From £900 + VAT|
|Other Immigration applications|
|Application for transfer of visa into biometrics card||£400 + VAT||Travel document application||£400 + VAT||Entry clearance forms (completion only)||£70 + VAT||Home Office Forms (completion only)||£200 + VAT||Asylum||From £2,000 + VAT||Asylum - fresh claim||£1,200 -£1,500 + VAT|
|Application for British citizenship/children registration||£500 + VAT|
|Employers licence for businesses (online)||From £1,000 + VAT|
|Tier 1 entry clearance (Entrepreneur)||From £2,000 + VAT|
|Tier 1 extension application(Entrepreneur)||From £2,000 + VAT|
|Business audit services||Price available upon request|
|Lodge appeal only||£400 + VAT|
|Lodge appeal and representation||£1,200 - £1,500 + VAT|
|Asylum appeal||£1,500 - £2,000 + VAT|
|Bail application and representation at hearing||From £1,000 + VAT|
|Application for permission to appeal to upper tribunal||From £900 + VAT|
|Review of decision and counsels opinion||£350 + VAT|
Our Promise to You
Friendly, personal legal services
We promise that our approachable solicitors will provide you with a genuinely personal service that puts your needs first. Our team of experts are always on hand to give you support when you need it.
Award-winning service in our fields of expertise
We pride ourselves in offering the highest standards of service across each of our legal departments. Regardless of your situation, we promise to provide you with the very best legal advice.
Advice tailored to your needs
We promise to listen to your needs and offer the right guidance for your situation.
There is no ‘one-size-fits-all’ solution in any area of the law. Every case requires a tailored approach and you deserve a solicitor who understands this.
Outstanding customer service and care
Our excellent reputation is built on our exceptional level of client care.
Every case is handled with the highest level of respect and many of our clients go on to recommend us after building an invaluable relationship with our solicitors.
Transparent fees and processes
Transparency is very important to us. We promise to provide you with total Transparencyrency on fees, so you know exactly what you are paying for. We’ll also make sure you’re kept updated on the progress of your case every step of the way.
What our clients are saying about us
Very pleased with how fast my claim was settled. Very nice people always at the end of the phone when i wanted to ask questions on my.claim. would deffo use this company again. Matthew was brill very friendly and reliable.
Very pleased with the service I have received, communication has been maintained throughout. Happy with the outcome of my case.
It's always been a pleasant experience using their services. I felt highly comfortable and confident whenever they dealt with my cases in terms of correspondence, communication and performance. I highly regard their services.
Starting the process couldn’t be more simple!
- Contact us Get in touch however suits you best and arrange a consulation with one of our solicitors
- Meet an expert You’ll meet the expert solicitor assigned to your case and discuss all the necessary details
- Authorise Once we’ve got all the details of your case and you’re happy to proceed, just give us the go-ahead
- We get to work It’s time for us to get to work! We’ll set up your file on our system and get to work right away
Get in touch
Let us know how AWH Solicitors can help you by providing us with your details in the form below.
Please let us know when you want to be contacted so we can get in touch with you at a time that suits you best.