Legally reviewed by: LLB (Hons) & LPC Cathryn Davies Updated:

Tier 5 Dependent Visa Applications

Is your partner or parent coming to the UK on a Tier 5 temporary worker visa in one of the main visa categories? Then you might be able to join them by applying for your own Tier 5 dependent visa.

You can either apply for your Tier 5 dependent visa at the same time as the main visa holder or after them, even if they have already travelled to the UK.

During the time your visa is valid, you will be able to live, work and study in the UK on your Tier 5 dependent visa. Your dependent visa will be valid for the same amount of time as the Tier 5 visa of your partner or parent.

At AWH Solicitors we can help you apply for your tier 5 dependent visa, or help you apply for your visa together with the Tier 5 visa for the main applicant.

With years of experience, we are experts in dependent and point-based visa applications. We will ensure your visa application is as strong as it can be, to give you the highest chance at a successful outcome.

Applying for Your Tier 5 Dependent Visa

You can apply for a Tier 5 Dependent visa either from within the UK or from outside unless you are currently here on a visit visa. If you have been staying in the UK on a visit visa you should return to your home country before applying for your Tier 5 dependent visa.

The application process for the Tier 5 and the Tier 5 dependent visa can be very complex. You must not only meet the requirements for the Tier 5 visa and the dependent visa, you must also prove to the Home Office that you are in a genuine relation with the main applicant.

You will have to prove that you are in a genuine relationship as part of your visa application. This can be quite a difficult process. We have often seen that partner visa applications are denied when the applicant did not provide evidence that was considered sufficient by the Home Office.

You could in that case appeal the decision made by the Home Office. However, such appeals can take months and cost you more money.

Our immigration solicitors can help you ensure you have supplied sufficient evidence to prove that your relationship is genuine to make your visa application is as strong as it can be.

Dependent Visa Requirements

Generally, only spouses, civil partners, unmarried partners, same-sex partners and children under the age of 18 can apply for a dependent visa.

As previously mentioned, you are able to apply for your dependent visa at the same time your partner applies for visa. You can also apply after the main applicant has received their visa and even after they have moved to the UK, however, you cannot apply or arrive in the UK before the main Tier 5 applicant does.

If you are not married to your partner then you must have been in a genuine relationship equivalent to a marriage for at least two years. You must prove that you are in a genuine relationship as part of your visa application process.

Our immigration solicitors can support you with your visa application even though you are not yet in the UK. We offer our services through Skype, Facetime and by Phone as well as in person in our Manchester based offices.

Maintenance Requirements

As a tier 5 dependent visa holder you will have to support yourself for the duration of your stay in the UK. You and the main applicant will have to meet the financial requirements as set out by the Home Office throughout your stay, and you must be able to provide proof of this during your application.

If you do not meet the maintenance requirements, or if you cannot prove that you can meet these requirements, your visa application will likely be rejected.

English Language Requirements

There are currently no English language requirements for tier 5 dependants.

If you remain in the UK for longer and decide to apply for indefinite leave after 5 years in the UK, then you might need to meet these requirements at that stage.

Start Your Tier 5 Dependent Visa Application

If you would like to get started with your Tier 5 dependent visa application, or your joint visa applications, then get in touch through the button below.

We can provide you firstly with a 30 minute initial consultation outlining your options and the visa application process, before you instruct us to apply for your visa(s) on your behalf.

If you would rather complete your visa application on your own, then we can also help you with our visa application checking service. Once you have completed your application we would go through all your documents carefully to assess if there are any mistakes, any potential issues and any areas where you can strengthen your application before sending it in to the Home Office.

At AWH, our immigration solicitors are experts in point-based visa applications. We can help you and your partner to apply for your Tier 5 visa and your dependent visa together, or we can help you apply for your dependent visa after your partner has already been granted their visa. For expert support and guidance, get in touch today.

Get in touch