Unmarried partner visa – UK visa application services
We can explain everything you need to know about the immigration rules in regard to your unmarried partner visa UK application. Our immigration solicitors are here for you throughout;
- the initial UK visa application process,
- the visa extension application process that will allow you to remain in the UK for a further 30 months after you have lived in the UK with your partner for 33 months and,
- the indefinite leave to remain application process after you have resided in the UK for the minimum five year period on your unmarried partner visa.
We can help you get settled in the UK with your partner, even if you choose not to enter into marriage or civil partnership. Our UK immigration solicitors are here for you.
Are you looking to marry in the UK?
- Yes, I would like to travel to the UK to get married and settle down
- Yes, I would like to travel to the UK for my wedding, but I do not wish to settle in the UK afterwards
- No, I would like to live in the UK with my partner without getting married
Please note: A 30-minute consultation with one of our immigration experts can be held in our offices or over the phone or Skype. Please be aware that we do not offer free advice and will charge a non-refundable fee of £95 per consultation.
Applying for a UK partner visa when you do not want to get married
Your legal rights as an unmarried partner
If you and your partner have been living together in a ‘relationship akin to marriage’ for at least two years, then you qualify as having an unmarried partner relationship.
If you are classed as being in an unmarried partner relationship, you will have the same rights as a spouse under UK immigration rules. That means you can apply for a UK unmarried partner visa that allows you to live in the UK with your partner for an initial period of 33 months, after which you can apply for a further 30 months’ extension. Under the immigration rules you can then apply to live together permanently on indefinite leave to remain, as long as you meet all the requirements including the English language requirements.
Apply to settle in the UK with your partner
If your partner is a British citizen, on indefinite leave to remain in the UK, have the right of abode or if they are on a long term visa, and they are settled in the UK, our expert immigration solicitors can help you join them and settle in the UK with them as their unmarried partner.
Get in touch today for personalised immigration advice and guidance to get you started.
General requirements of an unmarried partner visa
You are eligible to apply for an unmarried partner visa for the UK if your partner:
- Is present and settled in the UK, or
- Has limited leave to remain in the UK – this excludes students and other short-term visa categories
You and your unmarried partner must meet the below requirements:
- Both you and your partner must be over 18 at the time of applying
- Your partner must be ‘present and settled in the UK’. This means physically present in the UK at the time of the application, unless they are accompanying the applicant. If so, they need to hold either indefinite leave to remain, a permanent right of residence, British citizenship or the right of abode in the UK
- Both of you must intend to live together permanently
- You need to provide evidence that you have arranged appropriate accommodation
- You need to meet the English language requirements – level A1 of the Common European Framework of Reference
When you apply for indefinite leave to remain once you have been in the country for the minimum qualifying period you may need to meet different requirements.
As part of the application process for your unmarried partner visa, you’ll need to prove that you can meet the minimum financial requirements.
If your partner in the UK wishes to sponsor you, then they will have to prove they can meet them instead. To sponsor a spouse, fiancé, partner or civil partner for settlement in the UK, sponsors need to earn a minimum of £18,600.
If a child is also being sponsored, the minimum earning threshold is £22,400 with an additional £2,400 for each further child.
How long you can stay in the UK
If your application for entry clearance is successful you will be able to live in the UK for up to 33 months. After this you will need to apply for a further 30 months extension visa before you are eligible to settle indefinitely. All partners, civil partners and spouses must have been in the UK for a minimum of five years before they can do this.
If you are already in the UK when you apply you would be allowed to stay in the UK for 30 months, after which you would need to apply for another 30 months’ leave to complete the required five years. Once you do we can help you to apply for indefinite leave to remain.
If while you are here you and your partner decide to get married, you can apply for a spouse visa instead of an unmarried partner visa. This could then give you a further 2.5 years’ leave to remain.
Documents you need to provide for your visa application
You’ll need to provide a range of documents to demonstrate that you can meet the financial requirements for the unmarried partner visa as set out by the Home Office. These include:
- Income from employment or self-employment of yourself, or your partner if they have permission to work in the UK
- A specified non-employment income of either you or your partner
- Proof of a pension that you or your partner receives. This can be either a state pension, UK or foreign, or private
- Any maternity allowance or bereavement benefits that you or your partner receive in the UK
You can also prove your exemption from the financial requirement if your partner receives a specified disability-related benefit or carer’s allowance in the UK.
Remember, your partner must be what is called ‘present and settled in the UK’. They must be physically present in the UK at the time of the application, unless they are accompanying you. If so, they need to hold either indefinite leave to remain, a permanent right of residence, British citizenship or the right of abode in the UK.
Get the help you need to apply for your unmarried partner visa
Are you ready to join your partner and apply for settlement in the UK? We can help make sure you understand the process in full before you begin, and guide you through each stage to the end. Thanks to the expertise of our immigration solicitors, we’ll make sure you have the best chance of a swift approval, so you can start your life in the UK.
We assess your eligibility to apply before guiding you through the unmarried partner visa UK application process.
Get in touch with our immigration solicitors today to find out more about how we can help, or request a call back.
Starting the process couldn’t be more simple!
- Contact us Get in touch however suits you best and arrange a consulation with one of our solicitors
- Meet an expert You’ll meet the expert solicitor assigned to your case and discuss all the necessary details
- Authorise Once we’ve got all the details of your case and you’re happy to proceed, just give us the go-ahead
- We get to work It’s time for us to get to work! We’ll set up your file on our system and get to work right away
What our clients are saying about us
Very efficient firm. You have handled my case’s impeccably. My advisor, Charlotte, has been 100% professional and efficient.
You were the third solicitor firm who handled my claim. Things were going at a pedantic rate but your file handles Craig Johnson kept me informed and advised me whenever! The claim took over 3 years from start to finish but Craig worked on it in good time.
She saw to every little detail and made sure I was reassured every step of the way. She showed me empathy and always went the extra mile.
Our Promise to You
Friendly, personal legal services
We promise that our approachable solicitors will provide you with a genuinely personal service that puts your needs first. Our team of experts are always on hand to give you support when you need it.
Award-winning service in our fields of expertise
We pride ourselves in offering the highest standards of service across each of our legal departments. Regardless of your situation, we promise to provide you with the very best legal advice.
Advice tailored to your needs
We promise to listen to your needs and offer the right guidance for your situation.
There is no ‘one-size-fits-all’ solution in any area of the law. Every case requires a tailored approach and you deserve a solicitor who understands this.
Outstanding customer service and care
Our excellent reputation is built on our exceptional level of client care.
Every case is handled with the highest level of respect and many of our clients go on to recommend us after building an invaluable relationship with our solicitors.
Transparent fees and processes
Transparency is very important to us. We promise to provide you with total Transparencyrency on fees, so you know exactly what you are paying for. We’ll also make sure you’re kept updated on the progress of your case every step of the way.
Get in touch
Let us know how AWH Solicitors can help you by providing us with your details in the form below.
Please let us know when you want to be contacted so we can get in touch with you at a time that suits you best.