Unmarried partner visa UK
Your legal rights
If you and your partner have been living together in a ‘relationship akin to marriage’ for at least two years, then you qualify as having an unmarried partner relationship.
If you are classed as being in an unmarried partner relationship, you will have the same rights as a spouse under UK immigration rules.
Apply to settle in the UK with your partner
If your partner is already settled in the UK, our expert immigration solicitors can help you join them and settle in the UK with them as their unmarried partner.
Get in touch today for personalised advice and guidance to get you started.
You can be invited to join your unmarried partner in the UK if they:
- Are present and settled in the UK, or
- Are an EEA national exercising Treaty Rights in the UK, or
- Have limited leave to remain in the UK – this excludes students and other short-term visa categories
You and your partner must meet the below requirements:
- Both you and your partner must be over 18 at the time of applying
- Your partner must be ‘present and settled in the UK’. This means physically present in the UK at the time of the application, unless they are accompanying the applicant. If so, they need to hold either indefinite leave to remain, a permanent right of residence, British citizenship or the right of abode in the UK
- Both of you must intend to live together permanently
- You need to provide evidence that you have arranged appropriate accommodation
- You need to meet the English language requirements – level A1 of the Common European Framework of Reference
As part of the application process as an unmarried partner, you’ll need to prove that you can meet the minimum financial requirements.
If your partner in the UK wishes to sponsor you, then they will have to prove they can meet them instead. To sponsor a spouse, fiancé, partner or civil partner for settlement in the UK, sponsors need to earn a minimum of £18,600.
If a child is also being sponsored, the minimum earning threshold is £22,400 with an additional £2,400 for each further child.
How long you can stay
If your application for entry clearance is successful you will be able to live in the UK for up to 33 months. After this you will need to apply for a further 30 months extension visa before you are eligible to settle indefinitely. All partners, civil partners and spouses must have been in the UK for a minimum of five years before they can do this.
If you are already in the UK when you apply you would be allowed to stay for 30 months, after which you would need to apply for another 30 months’ leave to complete the required five years.
If while you are here you and your partner decide to get married, you can apply for leave as a spouse. This could then give you a further 2.5 years’ leave to remain.
Documents you need to provide
You’ll need to provide a range of documents to demonstrate that you can meet your financial requirements. For instance:
- Income from employment or self-employment of yourself, or your partner if they have permission to work in the UK
- A specified non-employment income of either you or your partner
- Proof of a pension that you or your partner receives. This can be either a state pension, UK or foreign, or private
- Any maternity allowance or bereavement benefits that you or your partner receive in the UK
You can also prove your exemption from the financial requirement if your partner receives a specified disability-related benefit or carer’s allowance in the UK.
Get the help you need to apply
Are you ready to join your partner and apply for settlement in the UK? We can help make sure you understand the process in full before you begin, and guide you through each stage to the end. Thanks to the expertise of our solicitors, we’ll make sure you have the best chance of a swift approval.
Get in touch today to find out more about how we can help, or request a call back.
Due to the large amount of services and the complexity of each case we cannot provide any standardised fees without knowing a little bit more about your situation.
However, if you get in touch with us we can discuss in detail what charges you can suspect and what fees we will charge.
Full transparency at all times
We aspire to be completely transparent on pricing from the beginning, so none of our clients will ever be surprised at the end of the process.
Furthermore, we believe advice and support from our team of solicitors should be affordable to those in need.
This is why we provide competitive prices across our range of services.
|Immigration solicitor fees|
|30 minute initial consultation||£60 + VAT|
|Additional 30 minutes where consultation runs over||£60 + VAT|
|Initial consultation + advice letter||£300 + VAT|
|Visa checking service(no drafting)||£250 + VAT|
|Extension applications settlement||From £1,000 + VAT|
|Entry clearance fees - out of country|
|Visit Visa||£600 + VAT|
|Spouse Visa||Sponsor Employed||£700 + VAT|
|Spouse Visa||Sponsor Self Employed||£800 + VAT|
|Dependants (Parent/Relatives)||From £800 + VAT|
What is included:
- Advice on procedures and law
- Completion of the paper and on line application form
- Advice on all documents required to submit with application
- Consider the contents of all documents supplied to submit to the British Embassy and follow up
- Advice on strengths and weaknesses of the case
- Preparation of the covering letter
- Attendances and follow up
|In country applications (extensions)|
|Extension applications for:
||From £800 + VAT|
|Points based system - applications and extensions applications|
||All cases are individually assessed and if additional dependants are placed on application they will be charged seperately.||From £900 + VAT|
|Other Immigration applications|
|Application for transfer of visa into biometrics card||£400 + VAT||Travel document application||£400 + VAT||Entry clearance forms (completion only)||£70 + VAT||Home Office Forms (completion only)||£200 + VAT||Asylum||From £2,000 + VAT||Asylum - fresh claim||£1,200 -£1,500 + VAT|
|Application for British citizenship/children registration||£500 + VAT|
|Employers licence for businesses (online)||From £1,000 + VAT|
|Tier 1 entry clearance (Entrepreneur)||From £2,000 + VAT|
|Tier 1 extension application(Entrepreneur)||From £2,000 + VAT|
|Business audit services||Price available upon request|
|Lodge appeal only||£400 + VAT|
|Lodge appeal and representation||£1,200 - £1,500 + VAT|
|Asylum appeal||£1,500 - £2,000 + VAT|
|Bail application and representation at hearing||From £1,000 + VAT|
|Application for permission to appeal to upper tribunal||From £900 + VAT|
|Review of decision and counsels opinion||£350 + VAT|
Our Promise to You
Friendly, personal legal services
We promise that our approachable solicitors will provide you with a genuinely personal service that puts your needs first. Our team of experts are always on hand to give you support when you need it.
Award-winning service in our fields of expertise
We pride ourselves in offering the highest standards of service across each of our legal departments. Regardless of your situation, we promise to provide you with the very best legal advice.
Advice tailored to your needs
We promise to listen to your needs and offer the right guidance for your situation.
There is no ‘one-size-fits-all’ solution in any area of the law. Every case requires a tailored approach and you deserve a solicitor who understands this.
Outstanding customer service and care
Our excellent reputation is built on our exceptional level of client care.
Every case is handled with the highest level of respect and many of our clients go on to recommend us after building an invaluable relationship with our solicitors.
Transparent fees and processes
Transparency is very important to us. We promise to provide you with total Transparencyrency on fees, so you know exactly what you are paying for. We’ll also make sure you’re kept updated on the progress of your case every step of the way.
What our clients are saying about us
Very pleased with how fast my claim was settled. Very nice people always at the end of the phone when i wanted to ask questions on my.claim. would deffo use this company again. Matthew was brill very friendly and reliable.
Very pleased with the service I have received, communication has been maintained throughout. Happy with the outcome of my case.
It's always been a pleasant experience using their services. I felt highly comfortable and confident whenever they dealt with my cases in terms of correspondence, communication and performance. I highly regard their services.
Starting the process couldn’t be more simple!
- Contact us Get in touch however suits you best and arrange a consulation with one of our solicitors
- Meet an expert You’ll meet the expert solicitor assigned to your case and discuss all the necessary details
- Authorise Once we’ve got all the details of your case and you’re happy to proceed, just give us the go-ahead
- We get to work It’s time for us to get to work! We’ll set up your file on our system and get to work right away
Get in touch
Let us know how AWH Solicitors can help you by providing us with your details in the form below.
Please let us know when you want to be contacted so we can get in touch with you at a time that suits you best.