Apply for your Tier 2 UK work visa

If you are a skilled worker, a Tier 2 visa - the standard UK work visa - will allow you to enter the UK on a long-term basis to fill a skilled job vacancy, in IT, accountancy, teaching, or healthcare.

Our expert immigration solicitors have a 100 per cent success rate for points-based visa applications, including for UK work visa applications, and can help process yours quickly and error-free too.

Let us help you with your Tier 2 skilled worker visa application once you have secured your next UK job.

Please note: We can not help you find or apply for jobs, you must have a job offer in place before starting the visa application process. 

Quick Links

Assessing if you can apply for your Tier 2 UK work visa

A Tier 2 skilled workers visa is a points-based visa. This means that your application will be assessed by how many points you score in the different categories that the Home Office set out. These categories include your age, your English language requirements, the qualifications you hold and your income.

Generally, when applying for a visa under the points-based system, you need to score at least 70 points. This may sound complex, but there is no need to worry. Our solicitors can help you quickly assess if you are eligible for this visa type before you apply.

Job offer and qualifications required for a UK work visa

To be eligible for a Tier 2 general visa, you need to be qualified to perform a role on the Tier 2 occupation list, or the Tier 2 shortage occupation list.

You also need to have a job offer from a UK employer before you can apply for this visa. However, that’s not all. Before you apply, your employer must also have the permission to sponsor your application by having a sponsorship licence in place. It’s up to the employer to apply for their sponsorship licence.

Intra-company transfers

If you are already employed and you are working in an international company, transferring from an overseas branch to a UK location, you’ll need a Tier 2 intra-company transfer visa.

Read more about intra-company transfer visas

What your visa allows you to do

A Tier 2 general visa allows you to stay in the UK for a maximum of five years and 14 days, or the time given on your certificate of sponsorship plus one month, whichever is shorter.

You can arrive in the country up to 14 days before the start date on your certificate of sponsorship. You can also apply to extend your visa for up to five more years after your initial visa expires, as long as your total stay is not more than six years.

Applying for a Tier 2 visa also entitles you to apply for visas for any dependents, such as your spouse or children. They may then live in the UK with you for the same duration as you are, and they will be allowed to work and study.

While you are in the UK on a Tier 2 general visa you can:

  • Work for your sponsor in the job described in your certificate of sponsorship
  • Work in a second job, if you wish
  • Undertake voluntary work
  • Study – as long as it doesn’t interfere with the job you are sponsored for
  • Travel abroad and return to the UK
  • Bring family members with you

However, there are certain things you can’t do, such as:

  • Own more than 10 per cent of your sponsor’s shares, unless you earn more than £159,600 a year
  • Access public funds
  • Apply for a second job before you start working for your sponsor

People from certain nationalities also need to register with the police when they are planning to stay in the UK for more than six months.

If you wish to change employers while you are on a tier 2 visa, you will likely need to go through the visa application process again.

Documents you need to provide for your UK work visa application

For the Tier 2 visa application, you must provide:

  • A CoS (Certificate of Sponsorship) from your employer
  • Your original UK Degree certificate
  • If the certificate has yet to be issued, you must submit a Tier 2 reference letter stating that you have successfully completed your course
  • A letter from your scholarship provider stating that they consent to you remaining in the UK
  • Proof you meet the English language requirement
  • Original bank statements proving that you have a minimum daily balance of £945 for a continuous three month period
  • A criminal record certificate from any country you have lived in for twelve months or more in the last ten years (this is only if you will be working with vulnerable people)
  • Application fees for sponsorship up to three years
  • Your Immigration Health Surcharge
  • Proof of appropriate salary

Income requirements

In order to qualify you will usually need to be paid at least £30,000 per year, or the appropriate rate for the job you are offered, whichever is higher.

You may be exempt from this requirement if:

  • Your certificate of sponsorship was assigned to you before 24 November 2016
  • You’re going to be working as a medical radiographer, nurse, paramedic or secondary school teacher in some subjects
  • You’re going to be working as a pre-registration nurse or midwife

We can help you apply for your work visa once you have a job offer secured. We cannot help you find an employer. 

Short-term work

Working on a temporary basis

If you wish to come to the UK to work on a temporary basis you may be able to apply for a Tier 5 visa. This visa category was set out with the aim to share knowledge and experience with temporary visitors from countries outside the UK and EEA.

Read more about coming to the UK on a temporary basis for work

Getting sponsored for a UK work visa

How a business can sponsor you

Firstly, you need to find out whether your employer is eligible to sponsor you. They must have a sponsorship licence before you can apply for your visa.

The business must also not have any unspent criminal convictions, including immigration offences.

If a business has previously sponsored foreign employees and they were found to have failed to carry out their sponsorship duties, they are also unlikely to qualify for a sponsorship licence.

Licence rating

If your employer does meet these eligibility criteria, they can apply for a sponsorship licence. If they are successful they will be given a licence rating. The licence will remain valid for four years.

There are two types of licences a business can apply for:

  • Tier 2 – skilled workers (for employing long-term workers)
  • Tier 5 – skilled temporary workers (for employing short-term workers)

Sponsorship licence management

Once the type of licence has been chosen, people need to be appointed within the business to manage the sponsorship. The roles that need to be appointed can be filled by the same person, if this works for everyone involved.

These roles include:

  • The authorising officer
  • The key contact for UKVI
  • The level 1 user who is responsible for the day-to-day management of your licence

Employees who take on these roles will undergo further checks from UKVI before the licence is formally approved.

Read more about sponsorship licences for businesses, or

Tier 2 General – Skilled Workers

How we can help you apply for your UK work visa

Applying for your visa

Our immigration solicitors are here for you when you are ready to apply for your Tier 2 skilled workers visa.

We can help both you and your employer with the immigration process. We can support and guide you through your visa application and we can support your employer with their sponsorship licence application, to ensure the entire application process runs smoothly.

To speak to one of expert solicitors call us today or request a call back for a time that suits you best.

We can not help you find or apply for jobs.

Please note: A 30-minute consultation with one of our immigration experts can be held in our offices or over the phone or Skype. Please be aware that we do not offer free advice and will charge a non-refundable fee of £95 per consultation.

Starting the process couldn’t be more simple!

  • Contact us Contact us Get in touch however suits you best and arrange a consulation with one of our solicitors
  • Meet an expert Meet an expert You’ll meet the expert solicitor assigned to your case and discuss all the necessary details
  • Authorise Authorise Once we’ve got all the details of your case and you’re happy to proceed, just give us the go-ahead
  • We get to work We get to work It’s time for us to get to work! We’ll set up your file on our system and get to work right away
We’re with you, every step of the way

What our clients are saying about us

We received an average 4.5 out of 5 based on 406 reviews.
You were the third solicitor firm who handled my claim. Things were going at a pedantic rate but your file handles Craig Johnson kept me informed and advised me whenever! The claim took over 3 years from start to finish but Craig worked on it in good time.
Client Satisfaction Survey
Many thanks to Stacy and everyone else at AWH for their hard work.
Client Satisfaction Survey
Fantastic solicitors would highly recommend! Mr Phoenix dealt with my case in a highly professional manner, the communication was constant which eased my mind through the stressful time!

Our Promise to You

  • Friendly, personal legal services Friendly, personal legal services

    We promise that our approachable solicitors will provide you with a genuinely personal service that puts your needs first. Our team of experts are always on hand to give you support when you need it.

  • Award-winning service in our fields of expertise Award-winning service in our fields of expertise

    We pride ourselves in offering the highest standards of service across each of our legal departments. Regardless of your situation, we promise to provide you with the very best legal advice.

  • Advice tailored to your needs Advice tailored to your needs

    We promise to listen to your needs and offer the right guidance for your situation.

    There is no ‘one-size-fits-all’ solution in any area of the law. Every case requires a tailored approach and you deserve a solicitor who understands this.

  • Outstanding customer service and care Outstanding customer service and care

    Our excellent reputation is built on our exceptional level of client care.

    Every case is handled with the highest level of respect and many of our clients go on to recommend us after building an invaluable relationship with our solicitors.

  • Transparent fees and processes Transparent fees and processes

    Transparency is very important to us. We promise to provide you with total Transparencyrency on fees, so you know exactly what you are paying for. We’ll also make sure you’re kept updated on the progress of your case every step of the way.

  • Approachable and friendly solicitors