UK Settlement – Family Members services
Indefinite leave to remain for family members
Settlement status, also known as indefinite leave to remain, will allow you to live, work and study in the UK with nearly no restrictions.
Applications for indefinite leave to remain are always complicated and can take a long time to complete. With the help of our solicitors your application process will be as quick and painless as we can make it, allowing you to focus on your family and your future together.
Our immigration solicitors have a wealth of experience assisting with exactly these kinds of applications. If you think your application would benefit from our expert help and support, please get in touch.Get in touch
How long you can stay
If you are successful in applying for indefinite leave to remain, you will be able to stay in the UK without any time restrictions. In addition to this, after you have lived in the UK on indefinite leave to remain for at least a year, you may also be eligible to apply for British citizenship.
Partner of a British citizen or a person settled in the UK
You may be eligible for settlement if your partner is a:
- British citizen
- Person settled in the UK
Partners are defined as two people in a genuine relationship. You must be able to prove that you’re either:
- In a civil partnership
- Been in a relationship for two years
To be eligible, you and your partner must intend to continue your relationship after you apply for settlement.
You need to have been living in the UK under a ‘partner of a settled person’ visa for five years, or ten years if you applied for your visa on or after 9 July 2012.
If you are between 18 and 64 years old when you apply, you must also pass:
- The Life in the UK Test
- An English language test
Your application can be refused if you have:
- A criminal record in the UK, or another country
- Provided false or incomplete information to the Home Office
- Broken UK immigration law
There is no financial requirement if you applied for your partner visa on the ten-year route.
However, if you’re on the five-year route you’ll need to prove you have at least:
- £18,600 for each year, if you’re applying alone
- £22,400 if you’re including a child
- £2,400 for each additional child
You won’t need to prove this if you or your partner gets disability benefits or a carer’s allowance, but you will need to show you can provide adequate accommodation and support for yourself and any dependants.
Child of a British citizen or a person settled in the UK
If you have a child that is under 18, you can apply for settlement on their behalf as long as your partner is their other parent. If your partner is not their other parent, they can still apply if:
- You are the only surviving parent
- You have sole responsibility for their upbringing
- There are compelling reasons why they should be allowed to stay
Children under 18 must have or have had a valid visa to be in the UK. They must also:
- Be living with you and your partner
- Have proof they’ll have adequate support and accommodation, without the need for public funds
- Not be married, in a civil partnership or living an independent life
If your child is 18 or over
If your child is 18 or over they may be eligible to settle if:
- They have (or have previously had) permission to be in the UK as your dependant
- You have permission to be in the UK as the partner of a British citizen or settled person
They must meet the same eligibility as a dependent child under 18. They may also need to pass:
- The Life in the UK Test
- An English language test
The application process
You may be eligible to apply for indefinite leave to remain in the UK, but the process of obtaining that status can be complex and lengthy.
Even the smallest mistake can result in your application being denied, and appealing a refusal can easily take between nine and 12 months. Fortunately, our team are here to help.
Documents you need to provide
To support your application you need to provide the following documentation:
- A current and valid travel document or passport
- One passport sized colour photograph
- Evidence of your permission to be in the country
- All previous passports
- Tuberculosis (TB) certificate (where applicable)
- Evidence of your marital status
- Evidence of your current employment or studies A1 of the Common European Framework of Reference (CEFR)
- Bank statements
- Bank letter or balance certificate
- Details of the accommodation
- Your police registration certificate if you have one
Expert immigration solicitors
To give you the best chance at a successful outcome, get in touch with our expert immigration solicitors today.
We have helped people from countries all over the world settle in the UK as family members of British citizens and settled persons. We are here to help you too.
Starting the process couldn’t be more simple!
- Contact us Get in touch however suits you best and arrange a consulation with one of our solicitors
- Meet an expert You’ll meet the expert solicitor assigned to your case and discuss all the necessary details
- Authorise Once we’ve got all the details of your case and you’re happy to proceed, just give us the go-ahead
- We get to work It’s time for us to get to work! We’ll set up your file on our system and get to work right away
What our clients are saying about us
excellent service kept fully informed through every step of the claim . would recommend these people 1st class
I first contacted AWH in december and booked my consulation with Shayeda. I didn’t wait long for an appointment and was given very professional advice and the appointment was thorough. Shayeda brought me the print outs and showed me everything I needed for my application. Both Shayeda and Cathryn were very helpful throughout my application. I received a very professional service from AWH and they have alot of knowledge & would recommend them for your immigration matters.
My wife and I were both very pleased with the service we received.Very professional and knowledgeable staff. A superb result all round. Many thanks to all the staff who helped us, especially Shayheda and Cathryn
Our Promise to You
Friendly, personal legal services
We promise that our approachable solicitors will provide you with a genuinely personal service that puts your needs first. Our team of experts are always on hand to give you support when you need it.
Award-winning service in our fields of expertise
We pride ourselves in offering the highest standards of service across each of our legal departments. Regardless of your situation, we promise to provide you with the very best legal advice.
Advice tailored to your needs
We promise to listen to your needs and offer the right guidance for your situation.
There is no ‘one-size-fits-all’ solution in any area of the law. Every case requires a tailored approach and you deserve a solicitor who understands this.
Outstanding customer service and care
Our excellent reputation is built on our exceptional level of client care.
Every case is handled with the highest level of respect and many of our clients go on to recommend us after building an invaluable relationship with our solicitors.
Transparent fees and processes
Transparency is very important to us. We promise to provide you with total Transparencyrency on fees, so you know exactly what you are paying for. We’ll also make sure you’re kept updated on the progress of your case every step of the way.
Get in touch
Let us know how AWH Solicitors can help you by providing us with your details in the form below.
Please let us know when you want to be contacted so we can get in touch with you at a time that suits you best.