Marriage Visitor Visa

A marriage visitor visa is suitable for those who wish to enter the UK to either get married or register a civil partnership or to give notice of a marriage or civil partnership in the UK.

Applicants of the marriage visitor visa should not be planning to stay or settle in the UK after the marriage or civil partnership.

On arrival in the UK a visitor coming to marry, form a civil partnership or give notice of marriage or civil partnership must hold a valid marriage visitor visa with the name of the holder’s fiance or proposed civil partner.

Standard Visitor Visas

You will not be allowed to get married or enter into a civil partnership while you are visiting the UK on a standard visitor visa.

As a standard visitor visa would not be suitable for couples who are looking to get married in the UK this special marriage visa class is created.

Applying for a Marriage Visitor Visa or a Fiance Visa

Both the marriage visitor visa and the fiance visa are valid for six months and allow a couple to get married in the UK. However, a marriage visitor visa is significantly different to a fiance visa, as a fiance visa will allow you to apply for a spouse visa after the fiance visa expires.

The fiance visa would be suitable if you are getting married in the UK to a settled person before applying for a long term spouse visa.

Once the applicant has lived in the UK for a minimum qualifying period of five years they will then be able to apply for permanent residence.

The marriage visa will only allow the applicant entrance to the UK for six months, after which the visa holder must leave the country. The visa holder can not apply for an extension or a spouse visa from within the UK.

AWH Solicitors can support your visa application from beginning to end, helping you feel safe in the knowledge that your application is done right.

How You can Apply for a Marriage Visitor Visa

Learn more about how you can apply for your marriage visitor visa.

  • General requirements

    You will be eligible to apply for this visa if your meet the following requirements. You are:

    • 18 or over
    • Free to give notice of marriage, to marry or enter into a civil partnership in the UK within six months of your arrival
    • In a genuine relationship
    • Visiting the UK for less than six months
    • Leaving the UK at the end of your visit
    • Able to support yourself without working or help from public funds, or that you can be supported and housed by relatives or friends
    • Able to meet the cost of the return or onward journey
    • Not in transit to a country outside the UK, Ireland, Isle of Man and the Channel Islands
  • Proof of relationship

    An applicant seeking to come to the UK as a visitor who wishes to give notice of marriage or civil partnership, or marry or form a civil partnership in the UK during that visit must satisfy the decision maker that they:

    • Intend to give notice of marriage or civil partnership, or
    • Intend to marry or form a civil partnership, and
    • Do not intend to give notice of or enter into a sham marriage or sham civil partnership
  • If you have been previously married

    If you have been married before you will need to show proof that you are free to marry or enter into a civil partnership again. Proof you will need to provide can be:

    • A decree absolute
    • A death certificate of a previous partner

    You will also need to provide a certified translation of any documents that aren’t in English or Welsh.

  • Visa restrictions

    During your stay in the UK on the marriage visitor visa you can not:

    • Access to public funds
    • Bring in any dependants
    • Live in the UK for extended periods through frequent visits
    • Extend your visa or switch to another visa
    • Work - except for permitted activities related to your work or business overseas such as attending meetings
    • Study for more than 30 days as studying can not be the main reason for your visit
  • Documents to provide

    The applicant will also need to provide the following documents in relation to this application:

    • A current passport or other valid travel identification
    • Proof that they can support themselves during the trip, for example with bank statements or payslips for the last six months
    • Proof of future plans for the relationship, for example documents to show living arrangements
    • Details of where the applicant will stay as well as any travel plans

    Documentation that can further support an application:

    • Details of the marriage or civil partnership and proof of payments for this
    • Proof of wedding plans in the UK such as booking confirmations or emails from the venue

Extending your Stay in the UK and Settling Down

If you have come to the UK on a marriage visitor visa you cannot apply for an extension or other visa whilst you are in the UK.

You must first return to your home country before applying for the visa most applicable to you from there.

It will depend on your situation and background which long term or permanent visa would be most suitable to you.

For advice and more information our solicitors can help. Call us today or request a call back for a time that suits you best.

Contact our Solicitors

Get in touch with our team for expert legal advice and guidence.

Call Us

Call Us

Call us Today on 0844 414 0667
Email Us

Email Us

Send us an email to get in touch.
Follow Us

Follow Us

We’re on Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn.

Our Fees

Due to the large amount of services and the complexity of each case we cannot provide any standardised fees without knowing a little bit more about your situation.

However, if you get in touch with us we can discuss in detail what charges you can suspect and what fees we will charge.

Full transparency at all times

We aspire to be completely transparent on pricing from the beginning, so none of our clients will ever be surprised at the end of the process.

Furthermore, we believe advice and support from our team of solicitors should be affordable to those in need.

This is why we provide competitive prices across our range of services.

Immigration solicitor fees
30 minute initial consultation £60 + VAT
Additional 30 minutes where consultation runs over £60 + VAT
Initial consultation + advice letter £300 + VAT
Visa checking service(no drafting) £250 + VAT
Extension applications settlement From £1,000 + VAT

Entry clearance fees - out of country
Visit Visa £600 + VAT
Spouse Visa Sponsor Employed £700 + VAT
Spouse Visa Sponsor Self Employed £800 + VAT
Dependants (Parent/Relatives) From £800 + VAT

What is included:

  • Advice on procedures and law
  • Completion of the paper and on line application form
  • Advice on all documents required to submit with application
  • Consider the contents of all documents supplied to submit to the British Embassy and follow up
  • Advice on strengths and weaknesses of the case
  • Preparation of the covering letter
  • Attendances and follow up

In country applications (extensions)
Extension applications for:

  • Spouse visa
  • Tier 4 student
  • Application for discretionary leave/humanitarian protection
  • Applications for long residence
  • EEA Applications
  • Domestic violence applications
Services include:

  • Attendance and advice on procedure and legal procedure
  • Advice and completion of forms
  • Advice on documents required
  • Preparation of covering letter
  • Submission to Home Office
From £800 + VAT
Points based system - applications and extensions applications
  • Extension applications
  • Tier 1
  • Tier 2
  • Tier 4
All cases are individually assessed and if additional dependants are placed on application they will be charged seperately.

From £900 + VAT

Other Immigration applications
Application for transfer of visa into biometrics card £400 + VAT
Travel document application £400 + VAT
Entry clearance forms (completion only) £70 + VAT
Home Office Forms (completion only) £200 + VAT
Asylum From £2,000 + VAT
Asylum - fresh claim £1,200 -£1,500 + VAT

British Citizenship
Application for British citizenship/children registration £500 + VAT

Corporate fees
Employers licence for businesses (online) From £1,000 + VAT
Tier 1 entry clearance (Entrepreneur) From £2,000 + VAT
Tier 1 extension application(Entrepreneur) From £2,000 + VAT
Business audit services Price available upon request

Lodge appeal only £400 + VAT
Lodge appeal and representation £1,200 - £1,500 + VAT
Asylum appeal £1,500 - £2,000 + VAT
Bail application and representation at hearing From £1,000 + VAT
Application for permission to appeal to upper tribunal From £900 + VAT
Review of decision and counsels opinion £350 + VAT

Please be aware that cost may differ depending on your personal circumstances.

The consultation fee is discounted at the end of the case if we are instructed.

Our Promise to You

  • Approachable and friendly solicitors

    We are committed to delivering a truly personal service that puts you and your wishes first. Our team will always be on hand to support you, regardless of the time or location.

  • Award-winning service across our fields of expertise

    Our high standards of service are applied consistently across all of our departments. Regardless of your enquiry, you can expect to receive the best legal advice delivered in a sympathetic manner.

  • Advice tailored to your needs

    We take the time to listen to your needs and offer guidance that is best suited to your current situation.

    There is no ‘one-size-fits-all’ solution when it comes to any area of law; every case requires a tailored approach and you deserve a solicitor who understands this.

  • Outstanding customer service and care

    Our reputation is largely built on the exceptional level of client care we continue to deliver.

    Every case is handled with the utmost level of respect and many of our clients have recommended us after building an invaluable relationship with our solicitors.

  • Transparent on fees and processes

    Transparency is very important to us as we want you to feel confident in our services.

    We adhere to providing full transparency on fees, ensuring that you know exactly what you are paying for and keep you updated on the progress of your case along every step of the way.