Doctorate Extension Scheme
The Tier 4 Doctorate Extension Scheme (DES) is designed to provide a bridge for PhD students to Tier 2 and Tier 1 visas.
The Doctorate Extension Scheme gives students who have almost finished their UK PhD or other doctorate qualification an additional 12 months stay in the UK in which they can look for and start work.
Expert Immigration Support and Guidance
For advice and support for your doctorate extension scheme application, call our expert immigration solicitors today, or request a call-back for a time best suited to you.
With our solicitors by your side you will be guaranteed that we will do what we can to make the application process as smooth as possible for you, securing you the best chance at a successful outcome of your doctorate extension scheme application.
You must be a doctoral candidate. This means you must be studying for a PhD qualification or for one of the doctorate qualifications listed on the policy guidance.
You can apply only if you are already in the UK and you must have a current Tier 4 study visa to be eligible.
During the year you will need to keep in contact with the University as your sponsor for the scheme. Furthermore, applicants:
- Must have a current Tier 4 visa to study a PhD or other doctorate level degree at a HEI in the UK
- Must not have completed their course before 6 April 2013
- Must not have previously been granted leave under the doctoral extension scheme
- Must be following a course leading to the award of a PhD
- Must be sponsored by a sponsor that is a recognised body or a body in receipt of public funding as a higher education institution from the Department of Employment and Learning in England, the Higher Education Funding Council for Wales or the Scottish Funding Council and that sponsor will be the sponsor awarding the PhD, and
- Must apply a maximum of 60 days before the expected end date of a course leading to the award of a PhD
Candidates who expect to complete their PhD earlier than originally stated in their offer letter must apply a maximum of 60 days before their revised expected end date. The end date is the date that the PhD is awarded.
Doctorate extension scheme visas are given to students who have almost finished their PhD and need an additional 12 months stay in the UK so they can look for work.
The following conditions apply to the visa holder during these 12 months:
- Any leave issued under this scheme will expire 12 months after course completion
- 'Doctorate Extension Scheme Responsibilities' ensures that you make contact with the international student team three times during the year to advise on your current employment status
- Until a student receives unconditional approval for their degree from the Board of Graduate Studies, standard Tier 4 conditions apply
- The less restrictive terms of the Tier 4 doctorate extension visa apply from the date on which the PhD is completed (if a valid visa application has been made before this date), even if the applicant is still awaiting the outcome of their visa application
- Under the doctorate extension scheme, individuals cannot work as a doctor or dentist in training or a sportsperson
Documents to provide
Documents you must provide to support your application are:
- Evidence of maintenance funds
This will be two months of maintenance which is currently £2,030.00. This needs to have been held in your account for a consecutive 28 day period on the date of application and the evidence you provide must be dated within 31 days of the date of your application.
- Two passport sized colour photos which meet the Home Office Photo Guidance requirements
- Your current passport and any previous passport which contains your current visa
- Your BRP (if you currently hold one)
- Your Police Registration Certificate (if applicable)
- ATAS Certificate (if applicable)
Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies
To apply under this scheme you will need to be sponsored by a university who has confirmed your enrolment by providing you with a reference number, also known as a ‘Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies’ or CAS. To apply for the Doctorate Extension Scheme your university needs to provide you with a new CAS that you will need to include in your application.
The DES visa will be granted for a period of 12 months from your expected completion date stated on the new CAS.
If the study for your PhD required ATAS clearance and your course end date is postponed by more than three calendar months, you must apply for a new ATAS certificate but you do not need to submit it with your other visa application supporting documents.
If your Current Visa Expires before the Date of Award
If your current visa will likely expire before the date of reward you will need to apply for a Tier 4 general visa extension. The Doctorate Extension Scheme should not be applied for to bridge this gap.
A visa extension application can take as much time as a general application. This means it could take three or four months for your visa to be approved.
If this is time you don’t have you should consider fast track or same day visa services. You can not continue to live and study in the UK without a valid visa, and doing so will minimise your chances of being allowed to continue living in the UK even if you are further fully eligible for the Doctorate Extension Scheme.
UK Study Visas
Tier 4 Student Visa
For the temporary right to work and study in the UK you likely need to apply for the Tier 4 General visa.
To be allowed to apply for the Tier 4 General visa you must be aged 18 or over and be able to prove you have enough funds to support yourself throughout your stay in the UK.
There are strict restrictions for a Tier 4 General visa holder. These include restrictions on the type of institute you may study at, the type of employment you may take on next to your studies and the amount of hours you can work.
Tier 4 Child Visa
If you are under the age of 18 can apply as a child student under the Tier 4 category.
The Tier 4 – child visa is for individuals under the age of 18 who are intending to study at a UK school on a full time course.
Due to the large amount of services and the complexity of each case we cannot provide any standardised fees without knowing a little bit more about your situation.
However, if you get in touch with us we can discuss in detail what charges you can suspect and what fees we will charge.
Full transparency at all times
We aspire to be completely transparent on pricing from the beginning, so none of our clients will ever be surprised at the end of the process.
Furthermore, we believe advice and support from our team of solicitors should be affordable to those in need.
This is why we provide competitive prices across our range of services.
|Immigration solicitor fees|
|30 minute consultation||£60 + VAT|
|Visit visa applications||From £700 + VAT|
|Entry clearance cases - spouses||From £900 + VAT|
|Extension of visas||From £900 + VAT|
Please be aware that cost may differ depending on your personal circumstances.
The consultation fee is discounted at the end of the case if we are instructed.
Our Promise to You
Approachable and friendly solicitors
We are committed to delivering a truly personal service that puts you and your wishes first. Our team will always be on hand to support you, regardless of the time or location.
Award-winning service across our fields of expertise
Our high standards of service are applied consistently across all of our departments. Regardless of your enquiry, you can expect to receive the best legal advice delivered in a sympathetic manner.
Advice tailored to your needs
We take the time to listen to your needs and offer guidance that is best suited to your current situation.
There is no ‘one-size-fits-all’ solution when it comes to any area of law; every case requires a tailored approach and you deserve a solicitor who understands this.
Outstanding customer service and care
Our reputation is largely built on the exceptional level of client care we continue to deliver.
Every case is handled with the utmost level of respect and many of our clients have recommended us after building an invaluable relationship with our solicitors.
Transparent on fees and processes
Transparency is very important to us as we want you to feel confident in our services.
We adhere to providing full transparency on fees, ensuring that you know exactly what you are paying for and keep you updated on the progress of your case along every step of the way.