Short-term study visa
If you’re planning a short course in the UK, and are from outside the EEA and Switzerland, you may find a short-term study visa to be ideal for you. When you are ready to apply, our solicitors can help you go through the application process for your short-term study visa with confidence.
Our expert solicitors are here to help you, so you can start looking forward to your studies.Get in touch
What your short-term study visa will allow
With a short-term study visa you can spend your time:
- Attending a short course of study, such as training or an English language course
- Conducting research for a short period of time as part of your degree if you are studying abroad
However, you can’t:
- Study at a state school
- Work (this includes work placements and work experience)
- Extend the time period of your visa
- Bring family members with you – they have to apply separately
- Accesspublic funds
You can stay in the UK for 6 to 11 months when you are granted your short-term study visa. You can stay for:
- 6 months for any short course (including English language), or a short period of research, if you’re 16 years old or over
- 11 months for an English language course, if you’re 16 years old or over
If you are currently studying at an overseas higher education institution, and part of your course is in the UK, you should be eligible for this type of short-term student visa.
However, you must check that your institution:
- Holds its own national accreditation
- Offers only part of its educational programme in the UK
- Offers programmes that are equivalent to a UK degree
In order to qualify, you must be able to prove that you:
- Have been offered a place on a course in the UK at a recognised university or college
- Have enough money to support yourself without working or applying for public funds (or that you have relatives and friends who can support and house you)
- You can pay for your return or onward journey
If you’re under 18 you must also:
- Have made appropriate arrangements for your travel and stay in the UK
- Have permission from your parent or guardian to study in the UK
Documentation you need to provide
When you apply for your short-term student visa, you need to provide:
- A current passport or other valid travel identification
- Evidence that you can support yourself during your trip, for example bank statements or payslips for the last six months
- Details of where you intend to stay as well as any travel plans. It’s not advisable to pay for accommodation or travel until you have received your visa
- Your tuberculosis (TB) test results (If required)
- Contact details for at least one parent or guardian in your home country (if under 18 years old)
- You need to provide the original documents when you apply. If your documents aren’t in English or Welsh you’ll need to provide a certified translation as well. Lastly, you will need a page in your passport that’s blank on both sides so your visa can be stamped.
You also need to provide proof that you’ve been accepted onto your course. This is typically a letter of acceptance from the educational institution, on official headed paper, stating the course’s name, duration and cost (including accommodation).
Depending on your circumstances, you may need to provide additional evidence, such as of your:
- Previous study, such as academic certificates, references or transcripts
- English language qualifications, such as certificates or awards
- Accommodation and travel plans
- Permission to be in the country you are applying from, if you are not a national there
- Your financial sponsor’s occupation, and proof of their income, savings or funds that will support your studies
Researching in the UK for a short time
Short-term study visas can also be used to conduct short-term research, as long as you are already enrolled on a degree elsewhere.
To be eligible:
- Your course must be equivalent to a UK degree
- You must be carrying out the research at a UK-recognised body, or one that receives public funding as a higher education institution
- You must be at least 18 years old
Travelling to the UK
Once you have been accepted onto your course and your visa has been granted it’s time to hop on a plane and make your way over to the UK.
The trip will be one of the most exciting step of the process, but you must keep in mind that some restrictions do apply here as well, especially if you are travelling under the age of 18.
You can travel to the UK without an adult if you are 18 or younger, as long as your parent or guardian provides you with:
- Their written consent for you to travel to the UK alone
- Their full contact details
Proof of accommodation
You also need to provide proof that you have somewhere suitable to live during their stay. This includes:
- The name and date of birth of the person that you will be staying with
- The address where you will be living
- Details of your relationship with the person who will be looking after you
- Written consent from that person stating that they are happy to look after you
If you require extra care
Some visiting students need additional care. You’ll need to provide a letter from your school confirming that it has notified the local authority with details of the visit if:
- You are under 16
- Your are under 18 and have a disability
- You will be looked after for more than 28 days by someone who is not a close relative (called ‘private foster care’)
If your school has received a reply from the local authority, you’ll need to provide that too.
Travelling with an adult
If you are travelling to the UK with an adult that person needs to be identified in your visa application too. Their name will appear on the visa, which means that you will be refused entry to the UK if you arrive without that person.
There is space to identify two adults in your visa application. In that case your visa will only be valid if you travel with at least one of them.
The adult you travel with needs to apply for their own visa. We can help them do this at the same time as you, but they will need to be processed as separate applications.
Education institutions you can study at
Where you can study
You will only be granted a short-term visa if your course provider holds a Tier 4 sponsor licence.
If not, your course will need to be held at an educational institution listed by one of the following:
- Accreditation Body for Language Services
- Accreditation Service for International Colleges
- Accreditation UK
- British Accreditation Council
- Education and Training Inspectorate (in Northern Ireland)
- Estyn (in Wales)
- HM Inspectorate of Education (in Scotland)
- Independent Schools Inspectorate
- Office for Standards in Education (Ofsted)
Get in touch
Let us help you
Let our solicitors help you apply for your short term study visa for the best chance of a successful visa application. Call us today or request a call back for a time that is best suited for you.
Due to the large amount of services and the complexity of each case we cannot provide any standardised fees without knowing a little bit more about your situation.
However, if you get in touch with us we can discuss in detail what charges you can suspect and what fees we will charge.
Full transparency at all times
We aspire to be completely transparent on pricing from the beginning, so none of our clients will ever be surprised at the end of the process.
Furthermore, we believe advice and support from our team of solicitors should be affordable to those in need.
This is why we provide competitive prices across our range of services.
|Immigration solicitor fees|
|30 minute initial consultation||£60 + VAT|
|Additional 30 minutes where consultation runs over||£60 + VAT|
|Initial consultation + advice letter||£300 + VAT|
|Visa checking service(no drafting)||£250 + VAT|
|Extension applications settlement||From £1,000 + VAT|
|Entry clearance fees - out of country|
|Visit Visa||£600 + VAT|
|Spouse Visa||Sponsor Employed||£700 + VAT|
|Spouse Visa||Sponsor Self Employed||£800 + VAT|
|Dependants (Parent/Relatives)||From £800 + VAT|
What is included:
- Advice on procedures and law
- Completion of the paper and on line application form
- Advice on all documents required to submit with application
- Consider the contents of all documents supplied to submit to the British Embassy and follow up
- Advice on strengths and weaknesses of the case
- Preparation of the covering letter
- Attendances and follow up
|In country applications (extensions)|
|Extension applications for:
||From £800 + VAT|
|Points based system - applications and extensions applications|
||All cases are individually assessed and if additional dependants are placed on application they will be charged seperately.||From £900 + VAT|
|Other Immigration applications|
|Application for transfer of visa into biometrics card||£400 + VAT||Travel document application||£400 + VAT||Entry clearance forms (completion only)||£70 + VAT||Home Office Forms (completion only)||£200 + VAT||Asylum||From £2,000 + VAT||Asylum - fresh claim||£1,200 -£1,500 + VAT|
|Application for British citizenship/children registration||£500 + VAT|
|Employers licence for businesses (online)||From £1,000 + VAT|
|Tier 1 entry clearance (Entrepreneur)||From £2,000 + VAT|
|Tier 1 extension application(Entrepreneur)||From £2,000 + VAT|
|Business audit services||Price available upon request|
|Lodge appeal only||£400 + VAT|
|Lodge appeal and representation||£1,200 - £1,500 + VAT|
|Asylum appeal||£1,500 - £2,000 + VAT|
|Bail application and representation at hearing||From £1,000 + VAT|
|Application for permission to appeal to upper tribunal||From £900 + VAT|
|Review of decision and counsels opinion||£350 + VAT|
Our Promise to You
Friendly, personal legal services
We promise that our approachable solicitors will provide you with a genuinely personal service that puts your needs first. Our team of experts are always on hand to give you support when you need it.
Award-winning service in our fields of expertise
We pride ourselves in offering the highest standards of service across each of our legal departments. Regardless of your situation, we promise to provide you with the very best legal advice.
Advice tailored to your needs
We promise to listen to your needs and offer the right guidance for your situation.
There is no ‘one-size-fits-all’ solution in any area of the law. Every case requires a tailored approach and you deserve a solicitor who understands this.
Outstanding customer service and care
Our excellent reputation is built on our exceptional level of client care.
Every case is handled with the highest level of respect and many of our clients go on to recommend us after building an invaluable relationship with our solicitors.
Transparent fees and processes
Transparency is very important to us. We promise to provide you with total Transparencyrency on fees, so you know exactly what you are paying for. We’ll also make sure you’re kept updated on the progress of your case every step of the way.
What our clients are saying about us
Very pleased with how fast my claim was settled. Very nice people always at the end of the phone when i wanted to ask questions on my.claim. would deffo use this company again. Matthew was brill very friendly and reliable.
Very pleased with the service I have received, communication has been maintained throughout. Happy with the outcome of my case.
It's always been a pleasant experience using their services. I felt highly comfortable and confident whenever they dealt with my cases in terms of correspondence, communication and performance. I highly regard their services.
Starting the process couldn’t be more simple!
- Contact us Get in touch however suits you best and arrange a consulation with one of our solicitors
- Meet an expert You’ll meet the expert solicitor assigned to your case and discuss all the necessary details
- Authorise Once we’ve got all the details of your case and you’re happy to proceed, just give us the go-ahead
- We get to work It’s time for us to get to work! We’ll set up your file on our system and get to work right away
Get in touch
Let us know how AWH Solicitors can help you by providing us with your details in the form below.
Please let us know when you want to be contacted so we can get in touch with you at a time that suits you best.