Starting a CICA claim
Claiming compensation for your injury
Despite the clear legal systems in place to allow crime victims the chance to claim criminal injury compensation, many miss out.
It’s easy to become consumed by the process of recovering from an injury. Being a victim of a crime is often very traumatic and many people forget or just don’t want to think about the possibility of going through a claims process.
Feeling alone and overwhelmed is perfectly normal. As is feeling unsure about the possible costs of solicitor fees or feeling pessimistic about your chances of being awarded the compensation you deserve.
We are here to make the process as easy and comfortable as possible. If a claim feels like the right thing to do, we will help.
Taking a positive step towards your recovery
When dealing with the distress and anxiety caused by a criminal injury, it’s only natural to want nothing more to do with what happened to you. To never have to think about it again.
With the help of our dedicated team of experts you can claim compensation for your injuries, emotional distress and financial losses. Our solicitors will ensure you feel safe and comfortable at each step, as we understand the concern such a process can bring.
Compensation can provide an important practical and emotional uplift to your recovery. Our expert solicitors can lead you through your criminal injury claim and get you justice.
You won’t need to worry about being left out of pocket, as all our personal injury services are provided on a no-win, no-fee basis.
Criminal Injuries Compensation Authority (CICA)
The Criminal Injuries Compensation Authority (CICA) are the government organisation overseeing compensation payments to innocent victims of violent crime. It covers people in England, Scotland, and Wales and can pay out compensation ranging from £1,000 to £500,000.
CICA criminal injury claims can be complex, but we understand the process intimately. We will put you at ease by keeping you fully informed throughout the process, and explain your rights at every stage. Whatever you’ve been through, we will do what we can to see you get the compensation you are entitled to.
What does compensation cover?
Any compensation awarded by CICA takes into account a number of factors. These include:
- The type and extent of your physical injury
- Any disabling mental injury that occurs as a result
- The type of criminal offence that caused the injury; such as sexual or physical abuse
- A loss of earning or increased expenses as a result of the criminal injury
- Damage to property
You may also receive compensation if criminal injury caused the death of a close relative, including funeral costs.
The criteria for making a criminal injury claim
According to the Criminal Injuries Compensation Scheme 2012 you must meet the following criteria to make a criminal injury claim:
- The incident happened in England, Scotland, or Wales
- Any injuries sustained meet the minimum compensation award of £1,000
- The incident was reported to the police within 48 hours (where possible)
- The injured party meets the required nationality and residence requirements as outlined below
- The incident occurred within the last two years
In cases of sexual abuse and assault the two-year limit is sometimes put aside.
You might also be able to claim if:
- You witnessed the crime happen to a loved one
- A close relative died as a result of a crime
Your nationality and residence
To make a criminal injury claim your nationality or residence status needs to meet specific criteria. This is not your status as it is now, but at the time when the crime occurred. At the time the crime occurred you must be either:
- A British citizen (or close relative of one)
- A national of the EU or EEA (or a close relative of one)
- A member of the armed forces (or the spouse or close relative of one)
- A potential victim of human trafficking on or before the date of your application (this needs to be confirmed by the UK Human Trafficking Centre and UK Visas and Immigration)
- An asylum seeker
- A national of a member country of the Council of Europe Convention on the Compensation of Victims of Violent Crimes
If you are unsure of your eligibility for criminal injuries compensation, our team of personal injury lawyers are here to help. We will listen in detail to your circumstances and explain exactly what your legal options are and what we can do.
Expert criminal injury claim advice
Getting you the compensation you deserve
By working on a no-win, no-fee basis we can help relieve the stress associated with financing your legal claim. By making your wellbeing our priority, we will help you get the compensation you deserve and move on with your life.
Our team of dedicated and highly experienced personal injury solicitors approach every case in a sensitive, secure, and thorough way.
We take our time to understand what you have been through, and how we can best help and advise you. All our advice is tailored to suit the individual.
Get in touch with our team to discuss your case and see how you can begin your criminal injury claim.
Starting the process couldn’t be more simple!
- Contact us Get in touch however suits you best and arrange a consulation with one of our solicitors
- Meet an expert You’ll meet the expert solicitor assigned to your case and discuss all the necessary details
- Authorise Once we’ve got all the details of your case and you’re happy to proceed, just give us the go-ahead
- We get to work It’s time for us to get to work! We’ll set up your file on our system and get to work right away
What our clients are saying about us
Our Promise to You
Friendly, personal legal services
We promise that our approachable solicitors will provide you with a genuinely personal service that puts your needs first. Our team of experts are always on hand to give you support when you need it.
Award-winning service in our fields of expertise
We pride ourselves in offering the highest standards of service across each of our legal departments. Regardless of your situation, we promise to provide you with the very best legal advice.
Advice tailored to your needs
We promise to listen to your needs and offer the right guidance for your situation.
There is no ‘one-size-fits-all’ solution in any area of the law. Every case requires a tailored approach and you deserve a solicitor who understands this.
Outstanding customer service and care
Our excellent reputation is built on our exceptional level of client care.
Every case is handled with the highest level of respect and many of our clients go on to recommend us after building an invaluable relationship with our solicitors.
Transparent fees and processes
Transparency is very important to us. We promise to provide you with total transparency on fees, so you know exactly what you are paying for. We’ll also make sure you’re kept updated on the progress of your case every step of the way.
Get in touch
Let us know how AWH Solicitors can help you by providing us with your details in the form below.
Please let us know when you want to be contacted so we can get in touch with you at a time that suits you best.