Care Home Neglect Compensation Claims

Start your claim
Care Home Neglect
BSC, LLB (Hons) & LPC Sophia Azam
Legally reviewed by: BSC, LLB (Hons) & LPC Sophia Azam

Claiming Compensation for Care Home Neglect and Abuse

If your loved one is, or was, suffering from abuse or neglect in their care home, we are here for you. We will provide you with free legal advice and support you with your care home negligence compensation claim on a no-win, no fee basis.

Abuse and negligence can come in many forms. In cases of care home neglect and/or abuse, residents could suffer from:

  • Bedsores, or lack of treatment of them
  • Dehydration
  • Malnutrition
  • Unexplained injuries
  • Untreated injuries or illness
  • Conditions that develop as a result of under or over medication

Do you believe that someone you know is suffering, or have you recently lost a loved one due to this type of negligence in a care home? Then we can help.

No Win, No-Fee Legal Support

We can offer you free specialist advice in regard to your legal rights if you believe your loved one has suffered as a result of care home negligence.

Our care home abuse experts can support you in your pursuit to ensure your loved one will be cared for properly, by claiming compensation from the negligent care home, on a no-win, no fee basis.

You may want to move your loved one to a different care home, which may cost more or be further away. Compensation can be put towards covering the costs that would result from such a move.

Neglect of Vulnerable, Older People in Residential Care Homes

Noticing signs of care home abuse and neglect is awful, but one thing to bear in mind is the condition or illness that your loved one suffers from which led to making the decision to put them in a home to begin with.

It may not always be easy to determine what are symptoms of your loved one’s condition or illness, and what are genuine signs of neglect.

However, there are a number of warning signs to be on the watch for which are actual signs of abuse or neglect:

  • Bed sores, or lack of treatment of them
  • Dehydration
  • Malnutrition
  • Over/under medication
  • Unexplained injuries

If you notice one or many of these neglect signs, or you have first hand witnesses a poor standard of care, your first move should be to talk to a member of staff in the care home. We know that you’ll likely feel angry and betrayed, but there might be a reasonable explanation behind your loved ones problems.

It may be that the staff have not yet got round to telling you that your loved one’s medication dosage has been raised or reduced, or that they are taking a new medication which has caused them to lose weight.

In the UK today there are constant growing shortages of staff in care homes, so bear in mind that delays may occur at times. This doesn’t mean that your loved one is not being neglected, though – neglect or abuse does not have to be intentional and may happen due to lack of staff.

If a delay in treatment or medication due to a lack of staff or inadequate supervision has made your loved one ill, we can still help you with your care home injury claim.

What is Considered Care Home Abuse?

Whether abuse is accidental or intentional, it is still abuse.

Physical and emotional abuse comes in different forms, so be on the look out for the following types and their symptoms:

  • Discrimination – symptoms include uncharacteristic bursts of anger, withdrawal, low self-esteem
  • Financial – missing possessions or funds, not able to pay for care
  • Neglect – symptoms include unexplainable weight loss, inappropriate clothes or bedding, general poor physical condition
  • Physical – symptoms include unexplainable injuries, bruising, burns, malnutrition, bed sores
  • Psychological – symptoms include unable to sleep, not hungry, feeling anxious, confused or fearful
  • Sexual – symptoms include changes in behaviour, torn or soiled clothing, intimate injuries

If you notice any of the above signs, you must tell somebody who works in the care home. It might be a good idea to make a safeguarding referral to your local social services too, so they can investigate and prevent any more abuse or neglect taking place.

Depending on what type of abuse they have suffered, you might want to move them to a new home straight away, or you may feel more comfortable moving them in with you and becoming a full-time carer. Whatever you decide to do is likely going to be expensive, which is why a claim for compensation can really benefit you and save you from financial struggles. Our medical negligence compensation claim is offered on a no win no fee agreement.

Specialist Care Home Negligence Solicitors

Here at AWH we understand that knowing your loved one has suffered unnecessarily due to neglect in their care home is extremely upsetting and frustrating, especially when it concerns care home abuse.

We want you to understand that by no means do you have to sit back and accept what has occurred. We can help you make a claim and be able to look forward to the future again.

Our team always approaches every case with sensitivity and honesty because we want you to feel at ease. You’re in safe hands with us.

Our team of specialist care home negligence solicitors can help your family heal and move forward.

How We Will Help You

Our primary concern is the wellbeing of our clients and their families.

Has your loved one been a victim of negligence?

If you or your family members have suffered an injury financially or physically due to care home neglect, perhaps due to having to re-home or if you have had to miss work to care for them, then you can claim on behalf of your loved ones and we can get you the compensation you deserve or needed to make up for these losses.

We understand what you and your loved on have gone through, and will try our best to make your lives better. You deserve to be able to move past what has happened and build your life back up again. Our negligence solicitors can help you do that.

Book your free consultation

Frequently Asked Questions

What to do if you suspect elder abuse?

If you suspect that elder abuse is taking place concerning a loved one you should take action. Depending on the severity of the situation, you should:

  • Call 999: only do this if your loved one is in immediate danger or you know that a crime is in progress
  • Contact your local council if your loved one is in a state care or nursing home and you're concerned for their welfare
  • Raise a grievance with the manager of the care or nursing home, whether it is state or private

If you have followed the correct procedure for your situation and nothing has been done or your loved one has become ill or injured as a result of negligence in a home you should consider contacting a specialist negligence solicitor.