Hernia Mesh Claims
Suffering from a hernia can be painful enough, but if the incorrect treatment you received then caused further distress, then you could be entitled to claim compensation. Our experienced hernia mesh claims solicitors understand the pain that an incorrect hernia mesh treatment can cause, and we want to help you get the support that you need.
What is a Hernia?
Suffering a hernia is both painful and inconvenient. It most often occurs between your chest and hips, and it may be noticed as a swelling or a lump in your abdomen or groin. It is the result of an internal part of the body such as fatty tissue or an organ bulging through a gap where the muscle or surrounding tissue wall has weakened. Sometimes the lump can be pushed back in or goes away when you lie down.
There are different types of hernia that you may suffer from. These are:
- Inguinal hernias
This is the most common type of hernia and it is more likely to affect men than it is women. It is when either fatty tissue or a part of your bowel pokes through into your groin at the top of your inner thigh.
- Femoral hernias
This is much less common than an inguinal hernia, but it is also when fatty tissue or part of your bowel pokes through into your groin. It is more common in women than it is in men.
- Umbilical hernias
This is when fatty tissue or part of your bowel appears through your tummy near your belly button. This type of hernia can most commonly occur in babies if the opening in the stomach that the umbilical cord passes through does not seal properly after they are born. Adults can also suffer if they have placed repeated strain on their stomach.
- Hiatus hernias
This type of hernia occurs when part of the stomach pushes up into your chest by squeezing through an opening in the diaphragm (the section of muscle that separates the chest from the stomach). The only symptoms of this may be heartburn.
What is a hernia mesh implant?
There are a number of different ways that a hernia may be treated, and this is dependent on the individual and on the type of hernia that they are suffering from. However, a number of cases have emerged of polypropylene mesh being used to treat hernias and to replace the weakened muscle wall. Unfortunately, there are reports of this treatment causing some serious complications. These can include:
- Nerve damage
- Organ perforation
- Mesh shrinkage
- Bowel and intestine blockage
- Mesh adhering to surrounding intestines
- Tenderness and pain
- Internal bleeding
- Autoimmune reactions to the mesh/rejection
Some of these complications can be so serious that they ultimately result in death or lifelong health issues.
If you have suffered from an issue with a hernia mesh implant, then you may be able to receive compensation for your medical injury.
Can you claim hernia mesh compensation?
If you were never fully informed of the risks that a hernia mesh implant may have, then you may be able to claim compensation for your suffering. If any of the following criteria applies to you, then you can seek help from your specialist and book an initial consultation. Get in touch if:
- You feel that you didn’t receive enough information about the risks of the mesh implant prior to your surgery
- You were not made aware that the implant would be permanently in your body
- You were not offered a consultation prior to the procedure, or were not given enough time prior to the procedure to consider the pros and cons
- You were disappointed with the standard of surgery that you received
- You sought healthcare on one or multiple occasions after your surgery, as a result of the implant, and were not dealt with appropriately
- Your subsequent complaints were ignored by healthcare staff
- You have had to have revision surgery to repair the damage caused by your mesh implant
- You were not offered any other alternatives to hernia mesh implants prior to surgery
How We Can Help You
Here at AWH, we can support you throughout the process of making a hernia mesh claim. We can offer both initial advice and also guide you towards getting the compensation that you deserve.
Get in touch today for expert help and advice.
- What are hernia mesh implants?
Hernia mesh implants are when a hernia is treated with an implant of polypropylene mesh. The mesh is used to replace a weakened muscle wall and push bulging tissue or organs back into the correct place.
- How can I claim for hernia mesh implant negligence?
With the help of our highly experienced solicitors, you can claim for hernia mesh implant negligence if you were never fully informed of the risks, given an alternative option, or if you received substandard surgery. Get in touch with us today if you feel that this may apply to you.
- What is the claim procedure?
The first step in the claim procedure involves a consultation with one of our specialist solicitors. If they believe that you may have a legitimate claim, then they will start the process of collecting the evidence to present your case. If the case is strong enough, this will then lead to a letter of claim being sent to the defendant.
They will then have four months to provide a letter of response to the allegations. If they do not admit to them, then court proceedings may then be issued. We can help you through every possible step of the claim procedure.
Starting the process couldn’t be more simple!
- Contact us Get in touch however suits you best and arrange a consulation with one of our solicitors
- Meet an expert You’ll meet the expert solicitor assigned to your case and discuss all the necessary details
- Authorise Once we’ve got all the details of your case and you’re happy to proceed, just give us the go-ahead
- We get to work It’s time for us to get to work! We’ll set up your file on our system and get to work right away
What our clients are saying about us
Our Promise to You
Friendly, personal legal services
We promise that our approachable solicitors will provide you with a genuinely personal service that puts your needs first. Our team of experts are always on hand to give you support when you need it.
Award-winning service in our fields of expertise
We pride ourselves in offering the highest standards of service across each of our legal departments. Regardless of your situation, we promise to provide you with the very best legal advice.
Advice tailored to your needs
We promise to listen to your needs and offer the right guidance for your situation.
There is no ‘one-size-fits-all’ solution in any area of the law. Every case requires a tailored approach and you deserve a solicitor who understands this.
Outstanding customer service and care
Our excellent reputation is built on our exceptional level of client care.
Every case is handled with the highest level of respect and many of our clients go on to recommend us after building an invaluable relationship with our solicitors.
Transparent fees and processes
Transparency is very important to us. We promise to provide you with total transparency on fees, so you know exactly what you are paying for. We’ll also make sure you’re kept updated on the progress of your case every step of the way.