The Mental Health Act 1983, amended 2007
The Mental Health Act is used in cases where the individual has been deemed to require treatment, or assessment following treatment, for a mental disorder within the meaning of the Mental Health act. They have further been assessed to require this treatment, or assessment following treatment, as they are deemed a risk to their own health or safety, or the safety of others.
When you are detained under the Mental Health Act, you must be told:
- Which section of the Mental Health Act you are detained under
- Your rights to appeal Your entitled to an independent legal representative who can provide you with legal advice
- What rights (if any) your ‘Nearest Relative’ has to help you be discharged and what can happen if your responsible clinician does not agree with that decision
- How to get help from an Independent Mental Health Advocate
Our mental health advocates are specialists in their field, and can help you and your family to further understand your rights and support you when you need it most.
AWH Solicitors – Approved supplier
We are an approved supplier by the Legal Aid Agency and can provide legal advice and representation and our legal representatives are accredited members of the Law Society Mental Health Tribunal Panel, a dedicated body of solicitors specialising in Mental Health Law.
Our solicitors and other legal professionals in the department have the specialist knowledge to advice on a range of Mental Health Law matters, and:
- Are sensitive to the needs of vulnerable clients
- Have the ability to represent clients effectively before a tribunal
- Display a clear commitment to representing the interests of clients with mental health difficulties
- Show continued compliance by receiving re-accreditation every three years and undergo ongoing checks by the Law Society
We always want the very best outcome for our clients, especially in challenging times. Get in touch with our specialists to receive the very best support and advice.
Starting the process couldn’t be more simple!
- Contact us Get in touch however suits you best and arrange a consulation with one of our solicitors
- Meet an expert You’ll meet the expert solicitor assigned to your case and discuss all the necessary details
- Authorise Once we’ve got all the details of your case and you’re happy to proceed, just give us the go-ahead
- We get to work It’s time for us to get to work! We’ll set up your file on our system and get to work right away
What our clients are saying about us
Our Promise to You
Friendly, personal legal services
We promise that our approachable solicitors will provide you with a genuinely personal service that puts your needs first. Our team of experts are always on hand to give you support when you need it.
Award-winning service in our fields of expertise
We pride ourselves in offering the highest standards of service across each of our legal departments. Regardless of your situation, we promise to provide you with the very best legal advice.
Advice tailored to your needs
We promise to listen to your needs and offer the right guidance for your situation.
There is no ‘one-size-fits-all’ solution in any area of the law. Every case requires a tailored approach and you deserve a solicitor who understands this.
Outstanding customer service and care
Our excellent reputation is built on our exceptional level of client care.
Every case is handled with the highest level of respect and many of our clients go on to recommend us after building an invaluable relationship with our solicitors.
Transparent fees and processes
Transparency is very important to us. We promise to provide you with total Transparencyrency on fees, so you know exactly what you are paying for. We’ll also make sure you’re kept updated on the progress of your case every step of the way.
Get in touch
Let us know how AWH Solicitors can help you by providing us with your details in the form below.
Please let us know when you want to be contacted so we can get in touch with you at a time that suits you best.