- Cambridge University – Economics BA
- College of Law, Manchester - Graduate Diploma in Law
- College of Law, Manchester – Legal Practice Course
- Personal Injury (Road Traffic Accident, Credit Hire, Employer’s Liability, Public Liability)
- Criminal Injuries compensation claims
- Claims against the Police
- Housing Disrepair Claims
I qualified as a solicitor in 2016 and have extensive experience in civil litigation, including handling multi-track cases up to and including trial.
I am also experienced in making and opposing hearings for a wide range of court applications, as well as conducting the hearings where they are by telephone.
I am also fluent in conversational Chinese (Mandarin).
- P. v. A: (Employer’s Liability) Represented a machinist who partially severed his thumb whilst carrying out his work duties; negotiated a settlement of £63,000.
- C. v. F: (Employer’s Liability) Represented a sheet metal worker whose arm was crushed by a collapsed conveyor belt during the course of his work; negotiated a settlement of £35,000.
- R. v. C: (Public Liability) Represented a property guardian who injured his hands walking through a glass panel door which was not clearly lit and was not marked with manifestations to increase its visibility. Liability was strongly disputed through most of the claim, however the claim was eventually settled in R’s favour 8 days prior to trial.
- C. v. A and H: (Public Liability) Represented a shopper who slipped on wet floor beyond a saturated floor mat. The claim was issued against the cleaning company as the First Defendant and the shopping centre management company as the Second Defendant. Both Defendants disputed they had any potential liability. At trial the two Defendants were found to each be 50% at fault for the accident.
- S. v. C: (Housing Disrepair): Represented an assured tenant of a housing association, where liability had been firmly disputed in full up until the trial date. Settlement was reached on the morning of the trial; the housing association agreed to rectify all outstanding issues, which involved replacing the main roof, waterproofing the conservatory walls, and replacing the conservatory floor, as well as paying monetary compensation.
- A. v. B: (Road Traffic Accident) Represented a victim of a road traffic accident in a claim which included credit hire charges. The claim was successful at trial. Unknown to the A, the hired vehicle was not actually insured to be hired out to and driven by them. B raised illegality as an issue. However it was successfully argued that, when considering the seriousness of the illegality, centrality to the hire agreement, intentionality, and the parties’ respective culpability, A should not be prevented from being able to recover the credit hire charges from B. The ultimate result was that A beat their own Part 36 settlement offer, and recovered £17,340.78 for the credit hire claim with the associated uplifts where the total credit hire charges actually claimed had only been £14,742.00.
Read what other clients have said about working with Tom:
Special thanks to Tom Xu and teamKept informed of progress, nothing too much trouble – your all stars. Always professional, friendly, helpful. Rita
View our most recent cases handled by Tom:
Our Promise to You
Friendly, personal legal services
We promise that our approachable solicitors will provide you with a genuinely personal service that puts your needs first. Our team of experts are always on hand to give you support when you need it.
Award-winning service in our fields of expertise
We pride ourselves in offering the highest standards of service across each of our legal departments. Regardless of your situation, we promise to provide you with the very best legal advice.
Advice tailored to your needs
We promise to listen to your needs and offer the right guidance for your situation.
There is no ‘one-size-fits-all’ solution in any area of the law. Every case requires a tailored approach and you deserve a solicitor who understands this.
Outstanding customer service and care
Our excellent reputation is built on our exceptional level of client care.
Every case is handled with the highest level of respect and many of our clients go on to recommend us after building an invaluable relationship with our solicitors.
Transparent fees and processes
Transparency is very important to us. We promise to provide you with total transparency on fees, so you know exactly what you are paying for. We’ll also make sure you’re kept updated on the progress of your case every step of the way.